welcome-byc.gif

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. I was convinced Hetti was a girl up until a week ago but have had doubts as she has always been top of the pecking order. They all get on fine but really I didn't want any roosters! Just my luck to end up with four. I will definitely keep Hetti (need a new name now) He is more like a dog than a rooster, the other three are more gentle, the Easter Egger is a lovely looking bird but very shy. Its a shame, they are all happy and healthy I hate to split them and I could never eat them!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. I was convinced Hetti was a girl up until a week ago but have had doubts as she has always been top of the pecking order. They all get on fine but really I didn't want any roosters! Just my luck to end up with four. I will definitely keep Hetti (need a new name now) He is more like a dog than a rooster, the other three are more gentle, the Easter Egger is a lovely looking bird but very shy. Its a shame, they are all happy and healthy I hate to split them and I could never eat them!

You're welcome.

I contacted the guy I got my chickens from and he agreed to take them and give me a couple of hens, my question is do I need to clean out the coop and keep the new hens in a different location for a couple of weeks? Also should I only keep 1 of the roosters or will it be okay to keep 2?
Can you also confirm the picture below is of an Easter Egger. Sorry for so many questions just want to do this right!

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Your picture looks as though it could be an easter egger given the pea comb. Does it have slate colored legs?

Anytime bring in new chickens, they are quarantined for a month prior to introducing them to my existing flock.

The general rule of thumb is that you should have 10 hens for every rooster. Having fewer hens may lead to overbreeding from the rooster and result in some pretty beat up and unhappy hens.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Your picture looks as though it could be an easter egger given the pea comb. Does it have slate colored legs?

Anytime bring in new chickens, they are quarantined for a month prior to introducing them to my existing flock.

The general rule of thumb is that you should have 10 hens for every rooster. Having fewer hens may lead to overbreeding from the rooster and result in some pretty beat up and unhappy hens.

X2 on trailrider330's advice. Your cockerel is definitely a mixed breed and likely an Easter Egger, assuming it carries the blue egg gene.

Thanks for you reply, he has actually gone now, I kept the buff orpington rooster and had to let the other three go!

Back
Top Bottom