Hey ya'll!!! I'm brand new to raising chickens-so new that I haven't started yet! I've been researching and planning, and hope to get my chicken coop built as soon as our weather here in Ohio gets somewhat steadier. (It's never constant though!)
I'd like to raise bantam chickens, and have my eyes on cochins, Mille de fleur, and silkies. I'm just worried about the wind as I live near the lake. And as we live so close to the lake, we have bald eagles to worry about! I want to make sure I can protect and safely raise these ladies before I get them!!
I am one of the 'all-hobby' people, i get into a lot of different hobbies. If its creative, im there. I love animals and would love to introduce my son to caring for them. He's been so interested in farm animals, and he really really loves cows. It's a dream of mine to be as self sufficient as possible, so cows might be in the future. I don't want to get in over our heads though! If you have any tips for beginners, I'm all ears!
Heyyyy, and welcome from Florida 🇺🇲🐊 Good luck!!!!

Hey ya'll!!! I'm brand new to raising chickens-so new that I haven't started yet! I've been researching and planning, and hope to get my chicken coop built as soon as our weather here in Ohio gets somewhat steadier. (It's never constant though!)
I'd like to raise bantam chickens, and have my eyes on cochins, Mille de fleur, and silkies. I'm just worried about the wind as I live near the lake. And as we live so close to the lake, we have bald eagles to worry about! I want to make sure I can protect and safely raise these ladies before I get them!!
I am one of the 'all-hobby' people, i get into a lot of different hobbies. If its creative, im there. I love animals and would love to introduce my son to caring for them. He's been so interested in farm animals, and he really really loves cows. It's a dream of mine to be as self sufficient as possible, so cows might be in the future. I don't want to get in over our heads though! If you have any tips for beginners, I'm all ears!
Welcome. Use 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the coop and run wherever there are any holes larger than 1/2 inch. Make a predator apron - it is where you run hardware cloth along the ground 18-24 inches around the perimeter of your coop and run to prevent digging predators. You need to make sure there are no gaps between the bottom of the walls and the apron. As far as wind, use something like this that is remarkably effective: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4Q68BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom