Newborn chick won't eat!

Dandelion007

Songster
11 Years
Dec 7, 2008
Durant, OK
I'm trying to get a new hatched chick to eat and it won't. Sure it will peck occasionally but it's very obvious it's not eating. I've been dipping it's beak in vitamin & electrolytes with sugar. It is seeing all of the others pecking and it's not getting the lesson.

What can I do short of putting a feeder tube in (joke)?

Quote:
I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

Actually, a chick can live 3 days on the yolk absorbtion alone, so it is not uncommon for them not to eat right off.

If your baby passed, I am so sorry-sounds like maybe it just wasn't meant to be, not because it wouldn't eat.

It "hatched" on Friday. Actually, I had helped it because some were sticking. Yes, I know the humidity was not high enough. I had left it in the incubator because we went to a poultry show. I got it out and put in the brooder on Saturday night when we got back home. It seemed to be doing good like everyone else. There is one other that was in the same predicament and it's still strong and eating everything in sight. I noticed today that it was not growing (already a difference) and then upon further observation that it was not drinking or eating. As mentioned, yes it should still be running on yolk (it's only been 2 days) so I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I was just trying everything I could think of to help the little guy (or girl).

Thanks for all the concern.

Back
Top Bottom