Newest Homemade Incubator

gmendoza ... Thank you for posting this. I'm returning my LG today. I've been looking for a simple aquarium set up (as I also breed crickets & have 10 more sitting back there ... wait ... that cold be dangerous.
droolin.gif
). All I need is the tray, sponge & fan. That means I'm getting $30 back today. Now whose the happy clam?
lau.gif
ya.gif

Julie

Awesome idea! I'm currently hatching in a borrowed LG that I will have to give back after this hatch. I was going to buy an LG of my own but we just moved our snake into a bigger tank so I have everything I need to build this bator except for the fan! I think I might just have to give this a try!

Hooray for DIY babies!!!
jumpy.gif

gmendoza - I have everything set up but the part I think I'm not understanding is the aquarium mesh lid I put on. Is it good for me to use that & not something that will cover it more to ensure the heat/humidity remains the same? Like the LG for instance ... Styrofoam lid.

I re-read through your check list of parts ... what did you use the sheet of glass for? And why a sponge?

My bator is on a test run now, with that metal fan
wink.png
, and I'm doubting the whole open top part. Maybe because I'm panic'd ... my BR eggs will be here in 2 days! I really don't know if I'm doing this right & need a little hand holding to help me along.

Thanks for any help you can offer ... I will get a photo of my set up.
thumbsup.gif

Julie, unless I misunderstand gmendoza's set-up, the wire mesh goes on top of the tray for the fan to sit on. The sheet of glass is the "lid" for the aquarium to help hold the heat and humidity in. It's basically a mini greenhouse except he's growing chicks instead of plants.
big_smile.png

JulieZ - The wire mesh goes on the Water tray.first put the sponge in the tray.the sponge will help along with humidity.

Then wire the tray with the mesh and tape along the ends with duct tape so that the fan doesnt fall into the water tray.
barnie.gif

The sheet of glass goes on top.you will get good humidity.You will also see that the sheet of glass doesnt cover the whole lid because of the fan cord.this doesn't matter much.If you dont get your 75%humidity,then slightly cover the gap with duct tape until desired humidity.Do not put mesh on the top of the aquarium.the glass goes on top.

Here is the top view.Notice the glass on top:

52004_glass_on_top.jpg

Here is the gap from the cord of the fan.here you can put duct tape to fine tune the humidity.:

52004_gap_in_lid.jpg

Here is a close-up of the water tray w/fan on top:

52004_water_tray_3.jpg

52004_water_tray_1.jpg

Assembly of water tray goes like this:

first get tray,put sponge in tray then mesh on top and around sides.you have to cut the corners of the mesh to make a sufficient lid.then get duct tape and tape around the tray on the mesh to hold the mesh down.insert tray into incubator,add water into tray.Place fan on top of tray.

Last edited:
Did you have a hole cut in the glass sheet for the light, or is the light on top of the glass? I am so excited cause I have a 10 gal fish tank (fish are long gone) and like 90% of the things you listed!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
No hole in glass.The broody lamp is just on top of the glass.Use a 60watt household bulb.Nothing fancy.Dont worry,the glass wont break.It can stand good temps.No big deal about heat loss either.my temps are 99% +/- a degree.

Back
Top Bottom