Newest member at the hen house.

stricklandr

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
So new in fact, I don't even have one yet! I have looked at what seems like hundreds of different coop designs but none of them were right for me. I'm now turning my pergola (16x8x8) into a very aesthetically pleasing chicken coop. Lol, I've been known to go a little over board. I've decided silkies are what I want to raise, at least in the beginning. Based on the mild attitude and temperament. I've started looking around and had some issues finding some in my area, I'm willing to drive north / central FL or southern GA. I don't particularly want to ship them. The few people I've contacted about purchasing some silkies have completely ignored me! I'm so excited I can barely stand it, and my coworkers can barely stand me! Chickens have been the only thing I've been talking about!

Greetings from Kansas, stricklandr, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Sounds like you are well on your way! Silkies are much loved and in demand on BYC! You might post in the FL thread of the link below as well as in the Silkie thread below that. Best wishes!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/breeds-genetics-showing

Hello from another new member! I think you'll enjoy Silkies
smile.png
. They are great pets and lay a reasonable amount of small eggs.

welcome-byc.gif
I know what you mean about inquiries being ignored. Before I joined BYC I was a lurker for several months. My friend wanted a silkie pullet and couldn't find anything at the feed storeI I launched the search for her and of course BYC came up all the time on google. I would truthfully tell breeders I was looking for the bird on behalf of my friend who didn't have a computer. I would give her name, address, phone and then mine as well - so they didn't think it was a joke.

I can't begin to tell you how many people were downright sarcastic when replying. They said they got tons of emails like mine and they knew there was "no friend" involved. One lady told me she was sick of "lonely" people who email and tell a story. They didn't really want chickens they were just looking for people to talk to. I got so upset I was going to give up the search for her.

Our success began with the Buy it now threads on BYC - through them she has gotten two gorgeous silkie pullets and 2 serama pullets. So I urge you to pursue that avenue. I'm fairly certain people from Florida advertise silkies now and them.

I would just tell you that silkies are very hard to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, if people offer 8 week old chicks, you are running the risk of getting cockerels. If people want to sell "straight run," that usually = predominantly or totally male chicks. I mention this because a lot of folks cannot have roosters where they live and end up rehoming them.

Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom