Newly hatched chick wont stand!

MysticUniKitty

Crowing
Mar 2, 2019
North Texas,Collin County
i think my chick that hatched last night either has splade leg or something else wrong with it's legs.
I have an egg carton and some tiny rubber bands, so I'm trying to fashion the tiny cuff things but wanted to post for any other ideas of how to help my little chick.

35158792-963F-450F-9EEF-299093881CEA.jpeg
016E841A-60A2-42D0-911D-EB40C16ECD59.jpeg

if you think your chick has splayed leg, you can hobble it to get their feet under them and correct it or do cup therapy 3 times a day that makes them keep their legs under them, some just don't get their legs under them right away as they worked extra hard to hatch and are just plum tuckered out. I usually wgive mine 24 hours before interveening unless it is super bad
here is the podiatry info I use when treating leg or foot problems as I am not as good at explaining how to do it
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
Ok i made the rubberband cuffs and stiffened/tightened them with bandaid tape in the middle. I put back in brooder and it's definitely trying to stand! It flops a bit but it's getting it's feet under it finally.

I also took everything out put down some pine chips (they are the fine chips) and put paper towel over it.

Going to see how it does today with that. :D

:hugs Thank you for links everyone! I have them saved now. 19843A62-A29F-437F-AD0D-846E883749B8.jpeg

Ok i made the rubberband cuffs and stiffened/tightened them with bandaid tape in the middle. I put back in brooder and it's definitely trying to stand! It flops a bit but it's getting it's feet under it finally.

I also took everything out put down some pine chips (they are the fine chips) and put paper towel over it.

Going to see how it does today with that. :D

:hugs Thank you for links everyone! I have them saved now.View attachment 1901330
Mine is a bit wobbly too still, but its amazing what a difference it makes.

Back
Top Bottom