Newly hatched duck with bump on head!!

Sema06

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2024
We just hatched 2 ducklings yesterday, whose mother vanished one night a few weeks ago. We didn’t have an incubator for the first 3 almost 4 days. We just used a heat lamp as we were awaiting the incubator. They’ve stayed in the incubator but only 2 out of 10 eggs hatched. One of the ducklings is fine but the other one was born with a small bump on its head, what seemed like wry neck and a bit of a curled toe. The neck and toe seem to be improving and the bump seems to have started draining but he still seems weak. I’m really more concerned about the bump. I’ve put neosporin on it but not sure what the bump is and if is something that will go away or if it’s something harmful to the duckling?

Attachments

• IMG_4808.jpeg
    IMG_4808.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 59
Sorry so late… the duckling is still doing ok. I keep coaxing it to drink so electrolytes and probiotics mixture I got at tractor supply and I also blended up some duck pellets to make a fine powder to add to water so it could eat and get vitamins from the feed. The bump has gone down a bit but it seems like it opened to drain… I’ve used a warm water cotton ball to hold ever so gently on top to clean it, and I see a little light red almost pink dot on the cotton ball. Then applied more neosporin. Not sure if it’s sibling nipped it with its bill or if it just drained(opened) on its own.

Here is a few pics of the ducklings bump as if this morning, granted it has some neosporin on it…

Attachments

• IMG_4868.jpeg
    IMG_4868.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4867.jpeg
    IMG_4867.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4866.jpeg
    IMG_4866.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 13
Keep it clean as you can and watch the other duckling don't nip at it.

You could use a saline rinse to help clean it and heal then when dry add the neosporin. How's is the neck and toes doing? you can make a boot for the foot if needed.

Hi I separated it for awhile this morning to get some rest as her sibling is very rambunctious… she ate and drank… the toe seems uncurled just weak upon standing… it’ll stand and walk a few paces then drop itself. I cleaned the bump this morning then applied the neosporin. It’s neck seems weak today not as good as yesterday… kind of just leans it to one side but seems to be able to preen itself just fine turns in both directions…just upon rest leans it over to one side more.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/
I’d also get rooster booster “poultry cell” and start the duckling on it asap. You can put it over a small amount of food or treat if it’s eating at all if not dribble along the bill or tiny drops into the front of the bill let it swallow after every drop. You don’t want it to aspirate. Vit E is another good one to give just prick the capsule and dribble it inside the bill a little at a time

Last edited:
Those are my next steps… I tried looking for the vitamins yesterday but I guess the were out which is why I milled the duck feed pellets… I’ve been dribbling food and water on the side of the bill and put the water and food bowls close so she can take a few paces toward it… it’s trying to walk but I noticed that it puts its bill down to a point to try and get its balance… funny thing and then takes two or three paces.. I’ve wrapped a washcloth into a donut shape and it’s seems to help it… I also put a dash of garlic powder into its water seems like it’s helping. It’s in the yellow washcloth.

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpeg
    IMG_4879.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 10
I hope so too… these are the things I’ve been giving them… in case anyone was wondering and could give me feedback on it. We’ve raised ducks since one week (their parents) but never newborn hatchlings and definitely not with these special circumstances.

Attachments

• IMG_4880.jpeg
    IMG_4880.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom