Newly Hatched Silkie, Can’t Stand, Lays on Side

SugaryPanPan

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2020
Hello! I’m a new chicken mom, and I we had two successful hatches. Alas, the third had a dried membrane and ended up being somewhat of an assisted hatch (it pushed itself out at the end but we had to wet the membrane). For the first two hours it was able to waddle around properly and then it was constantly on its back. We waited until it was dry and ready to come out and realized... still can’t stand.

We created a makeshift sling for it, and also gave it some gatorade. I’m also going to try and feed it some boiled egg yolk later today. Is there anything else I can do to help the little buddy?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance! 🐣

Attachments

• E7EB4EE2-87B9-4FAB-BABF-6917A5B27E80.jpeg
    E7EB4EE2-87B9-4FAB-BABF-6917A5B27E80.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 63
Are its legs splayed? it would kinda look like its hips were set too wide.

Attachments

• 20200604_150109.jpg
    20200604_150109.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 20
Are its legs splayed? it would kinda look like its hips were set too wide.
Our other chick has splayed legs as well- its doing really well bandaged up. This one did too, so its bandaged up in the cup but unlike its sibling, cant even stand for a second. Just immediately ends up laying on its side.

Update: Purchased Save-A-Chick Probiotics and Vitamin supplements, arriving tomorrow with the feeding syringe.

Ok so cup it is. Do you have any advice for how often I should give it some gatorade and when I should give it an egg yolk to eat?
Can it drink on its own? eat on its own?
I would give it one egg yolk a day just to help it get some protein and not too sure on Gatorade...I never fed Gatorade before. But the electrolytes would help.

Back
Top Bottom