Nice roosters?

kherth

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
We have a flock of mixed one year old hens that are amazing. One New Hampshire red, one white Orpington, two aracaunas, and five barred rocks, we had barred rock roosters, and only one per flock, but I had to kill the first one because he attacked me and my son, and had to kill the second one bc he was beating up on our favorite prized red hen... It's like he picked her out of the whole flock and made her a cast out. Can they do that?? Anyways, he was trying to peck her to death and I had to house her in a seperate coop. So, my question is, is there such thing as an easy going rooster bc we want to raise our own chicks, don't care if they're mixed, or are they all just a bunch of cocks?

There is. It's not all based on breed either, roos each have their own distinct personality. I've heard its best to have a young roo with older hens since they will be push him around more rather then let themselves be picked on.

Roosters are like many other animals, they have their own personalities. When we had two roosters for 8 hens, the two would get feisty and harass the grandchildren. Disciplining them did not help.

I found someone who raises a variety of fowl. She said that she would take one; so off he went. The other settled down apparently since he was the only one remaining.

You could get one that was nice, and the next one from the same flock might be quite aggressive.

All this notwithstanding, don't mistake the rough behavior of mating to be an attack. There is nothing pretty about it, for a human's perspective.

It may be that any you get might have to be trained, if he starts to be aggressive. If that is the case, don't wait to let him get accustomed to being dominant.

Chris

You really (imho) can't tell about a rooster for sure until he gets older. If you are going to have roosters, you need a sharp knife, and pretty darn close to zero tolerance for bad behavior. A lot of them are mean.

You can get nice ones, and those are pretty darn nice, but it is a crap shoot..... right now, I have two, cause I can't make up my mind for sure which way to go..... I do like them for flock management, and day time predator awareness, and of course hatching out chicks is fun....

I kind of think that roosters raised in an established flock, under a broody hen, with older layers, tend to be better roosters, than a rooster that grows up in a clutch, without older hens. I think the roos in that situation get too big too fast, bigger than their sister pullets, and become bullies...... but it is just a theory. However, just this week, I had an old leghorn, that I am pretty sure does not weigh 3 pounds, educate the 5 month old roo, that is three times her size.

Mrs K

I have 4 roosters, 3 silkie and one large one. The silkies are too baby to be aggressive. The large fowl one, Rocky, was hatched out from my momma silkie and then when he got too big for her I moved him and his sister into the big coop with the big girls when they were around 10 weeks old. They picked on him a lot which I thought was good because they showed dominance at a young age. He slowly worked his way up to the top and I have to say, I think him having older hens is a big bonus. He is the nicest chickens and since he was raised around little kids constantly he is fine with everybody and knows that humans rule in this flock!!!

I have had super sweet roosters before. You do have to get them young and handle them. I had a mixed breed one and an Austrolorp. The EE rooster that I had was mean. Even with handling. they are out there!!

Heres Rocky, the roo that was raised by a broodie silkie and was handled a lot and knows that humans are the rulers. He's super sweet and very good with his girls.

I have to agree with having older hens with a young rooster. My hens were just starting to lay when I introduced 4 just feathered out wyandottes - was pretty sure that they were all girls. Nope, one decided to crow. The hens were unmerciful to him, but he worked his way up the chain very slowly. I did baby him and still do. He is very loving to his 20 girls and is not aggressive whatsoever to the dogs, cats (those are for the hens to torment), or any two legged critter.

I have had mean roos that attacked me or my kids and they were sent straight to the burtcher block. I have two roos in my flock right now. They have never shown any aggression so I keeep them around. They arenot exactly friendly either though, I give them their space and they give me mine. I don't handle my chicks or chickens at all, maybe that has something to do with it. The roosters that attacked were handled a lot as chicks by my children.

Back
Top Bottom