Nice to be here

sueandvern

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2016
Hi. I guess this is where we introduce ourselves....we are Sue and Vern in Oregon. We have never had chickens- Vern's colleagues at work built him a very nice chicken coop as a retirement gift since he'd been mentioning that he wanted to get chickens when he retired. We don't have the chicks yet--need to wait until after a trip at the end of March so we will be here to babysit. We have two horses, 7 goats and 3 cats (just lost our old black lab and if anyone knows of a nice little of lab puppies due in May in Oregon or Washington let me know!--off topic I know). I was wondering about some recommendations for ordering online in small numbers of chicks. Wilco has their chicks in but not sure if they will have many in early April, so wanted to be prepared with a plan in case they don't. We were thinking of maybe 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Easter Eggers for a 4x8 coop with the same size run, but they are going to be allowed to free range during the day once they are big enough to be safe. Does anyone think any of that is a bad plan?

Hi welcome to back yard chicken site. when you get hicks you will have to have a heat lamp and chick starter. just to let you know.other than that sounds nice. just be ware of predators during the day like hawks, eagles etc.

Welcome to BYC! My Pet Chicken has small numbers of chicks for order, and they are rather cheap. Good luck with your future chicks!
-Banti

Welcome to BYC. I to am new and live in Oregon. We just got a few girls to start our own little flock. There is lots to read and learn here so have a look around. I know I am.
Outlaw

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!!

Hi. I guess this is where we introduce ourselves....we are Sue and Vern in Oregon. We have never had chickens- Vern's colleagues at work built him a very nice chicken coop as a retirement gift since he'd been mentioning that he wanted to get chickens when he retired. We don't have the chicks yet--need to wait until after a trip at the end of March so we will be here to babysit. We have two horses, 7 goats and 3 cats (just lost our old black lab and if anyone knows of a nice little of lab puppies due in May in Oregon or Washington let me know!--off topic I know). I was wondering about some recommendations for ordering online in small numbers of chicks. Wilco has their chicks in but not sure if they will have many in early April, so wanted to be prepared with a plan in case they don't. We were thinking of maybe 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Easter Eggers for a 4x8 coop with the same size run, but they are going to be allowed to free range during the day once they are big enough to be safe. Does anyone think any of that is a bad plan?
welcome-byc.gif
well you have come to the right place lots of good people on here . I think were I you I would look on the Oregon thread and try to find Byc members in your area with chicks or grown chickens for sale . you would most likely get better chickens and make new friends . just saying . enjoy your travels and good luck with your chicken venture
frow.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC. BYC910 has given you some good advice. I'd go for point of lay pullets to begin with as you don't have to worry about setting up a brooder and you'll get eggs faster! In terms of free ranging - adult chickens cannot defend themselves against much to be honest. There's lots of articles and threads on free ranging and protecting your flock so I'd suggest searching for them in the search box.

All the best
CT

BTW - BYC members post threads on non-avian topics, from goats to quilting and baking. In your state thread, you could ask members there about labs - great dogs, but gosh they eat, eat and eat don't they?

There are also a number of dog threads on here - just use the search box. What's good about getting chicks locally, is they don't have to be shipped across the country. Shipping can be very hard on them and the weather at that time can be undesirable.

Hope you will update and let us know when you have your chicks, and especially when you get a puppy - I am a true dog lover.

Back
Top Bottom