Night time flock integration

Mamabrinkles

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Ok so I just put my two polish girls (one might be a boy) on a perch in the main coop with the big girls after everyone went yo bed. The girls know they are there but night time paralyzed them. They have been pretty mean on previous integration attempts during the day...hopefully the night time slip in will do the trick!

Thanks! My polish girls are 14 weeks and my big girls are 17-18 weeks. I have tried to integrate a few previous times but my big girls severely bully one of them. Fingers crossed :)

Well the girls woke up at 530 and everything seemed good for awhile. They were busy with their morning routines, so they really didn't pay any mind to the littles. But it wasn't to last. I heard some horrid squawking so I went out to look and four of the big girls had both of the littles crouched in a corner pecking out their head feathers. :/ Why can't this be easier!? I know I'm a bit of a mother hen but I honestly don't know how rough to allow the big girls to be. If I leave them together they really will take turns bullying them all day. Annoyed.

Here is a list of tried and failed attempts

- the littles have a pen that is inside the main aviary, so they are used to each other, they have been in that pen for a month while we have tried to integrate.

- I have tried just leaving them alone, but even after an entire day together, the big girls are still not done with their bullying.

- I have integrated while providing an activity for the flock so they won't be as interested.

- I have separated the main bullies - this is only mildly helpful as they often work as a team in the bullying and removing them all would be counter productive.

- and finally I slipped them in at night last night. I would have left them together if the big girls hadn't teamed up to corner the littles and proceed to pull out their head feathers. And I'm talking crouched on the ground trying to bury their poor little heads while the big girls jump on them and pull. Jerks.

Tonight I will put the littles in the coop after dark again. Maybe they will continue to get used to each other that way.

OK...... try putting the main bully in solitary confinement for 2-3 days.... that changes the pecking order..... she will no longer be in charge.... supposedly, the next bird in line won't peck the younger birds..... So it says in fine print somewhere..... keep locking up the instigator(s) in solitary... (dog carry crates) until your problem is solved.......

I am experiencing similar things. My main flock is about 16 weeks old (includes an alpha roo and secondary roo. And 8 hens)
I have 10 youngster in a pen where the other chickens can see and talk to themselves through the ochicken wire. I let the young ones out once a day and supervise.
My alpha roo and 2 of my hens really don't like them and I have to stand between flocks to protect them.
(Youngsters have been outside for about 2 weeks)

Dave's advice seems good - should I lock up my roo and two hens when I let the youngsters out to play and see how that goes? I just don't trust the older chickens.
How long do you think this integration will take?
I will cry crocodile tears if they kill one of my babies.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I feel. If they were just chickens I would just put them together and let them figure it out, but they are my babies! I love all my girls and I don't want any of them to get injured or worse.

I tried separating the main bullies, but the others just take over where they left off. I think because they are polish the instinct to pick on them is higher - they look different.

My current strategy is to keep putting them in with the big girls at night and let them wake up together, I can still separate them during the day if the girls get out of hand but I'm hoping they will get used to waking up together and being together.

Good thing I have the next three days off work to test this out!

I am experiencing similar things. My main flock is about 16 weeks old (includes an alpha roo and secondary roo. And 8 hens)
I have 10 youngster in a pen where the other chickens can see and talk to themselves through the ochicken wire. I let the young ones out once a day and supervise.
My alpha roo and 2 of my hens really don't like them and I have to stand between flocks to protect them.
(Youngsters have been outside for about 2 weeks)

Dave's advice seems good - should I lock up my roo and two hens when I let the youngsters out to play and see how that goes? I just don't trust the older chickens.
How long do you think this integration will take?
I will cry crocodile tears if they kill one of my babies.

Oh my goodness! We're in exactly the same boat! My main flock is the age of yours. Difference here is that our roo is excellent with the littles and the pullets aren't too bad. But we have a cockerel that seeks them out and is just vicious!
Good news is I've heard adults accept incoming littles a bit easier than these teenagers. I sure hope so!
And to beat it all, once this is done I have 3 babies in a brooder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom