Nine banded armadillos, and my duck🥺

Everose

Movement is medicine 🤸🏻‍♀️
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Greatest Country Ever: Texas
Well two nine-banded armadillos, male first female second, were killed by my dog within this month.

The female and my duck were suspiciously killed within the same timeframe though I don't know which was first because I found them on the same day.

My dog has a bad history with ducks, five time offender. This drake was with her for a couple of months and they got along great, she ignored him. Rose (the dog) also used to kill chickens but after being on the chain and being around them for a long time she finally decided that they were alright and she now chills with them when they dust bathe. We put her on the chain after she killed the last drake (and not this drake) we even tied it around her neck and shamed her for a day. She has a neurotic way of barking, chasing, and grabbing things that aren't where they belong, but I feel like she finally understood that my drake was alright. He acted completely comfortable with her and she is even good with the ducklings in the house, she ignores them, she'd rather pay attention to other things. I was told that this behavior is ideal.

The armadillos have been trashing the yard! Holes EVERYWHERE! We also haven't been getting any chicken eggs recently (the person who is supposed to close the coop at night has been forgetting) and I think the armadillos may be to blame. Our LDGs are barking ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

Today I found a dead armadillo and my drake was dead too😭. I am so upset, but I don't know if rose killed the armadillo because it killed the drake or if she went on a killing spree and killed both. I've seen articles (ones linked on other armadillo threads on BYC) where armadillos drag away lambs or tear up calves, but has anyone had an armadillo kill poultry?

Also I noticed a bunch of feathers around the armadillo holes, armadillo tracks and dog tracks everywhere, neck feathers were gone from the drakes neck, maggots on the armadillo but fire ants in the duck, and rose was really wet and tired two nights in a row.

Well two nine-banded armadillos, male first female second, were killed by my dog within this month.

The female and my duck were suspiciously killed within the same timeframe though I don't know which was first because I found them on the same day.

My dog has a bad history with ducks, five time offender. This drake was with her for a couple of months and they got along great, she ignored him. Rose (the dog) also used to kill chickens but after being on the chain and being around them for a long time she finally decided that they were alright and she now chills with them when they dust bathe. We put her on the chain after she killed the last drake (and not this drake) we even tied it around her neck and shamed her for a day. She has a neurotic way of barking, chasing, and grabbing things that aren't where they belong, but I feel like she finally understood that my drake was alright. He acted completely comfortable with her and she is even good with the ducklings in the house, she ignores them, she'd rather pay attention to other things. I was told that this behavior is ideal.

The armadillos have been trashing the yard! Holes EVERYWHERE! We also haven't been getting any chicken eggs recently (the person who is supposed to close the coop at night has been forgetting) and I think the armadillos may be to blame. Our LDGs are barking ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

Today I found a dead armadillo and my drake was dead too😭. I am so upset, but I don't know if rose killed the armadillo because it killed the drake or if she went on a killing spree and killed both. I've seen articles (ones linked on other armadillo threads on BYC) where armadillos drag away lambs or tear up calves, but has anyone had an armadillo kill poultry?

Also I noticed a bunch of feathers around the armadillo holes, armadillo tracks and dog tracks everywhere, neck feathers were gone from the drakes neck, maggots on the armadillo but fire ants in the duck, and rose was really wet and tired two nights in a row.
OH no! How upsetting! I'm so sorry! Armadillos have been known to kill poultry.

Armadillos usually dig for grubs. I know I have at least one that lives in my brush site. I have seen it. The brush site is behind my coops. Never had an issue with the armadillo and my birds. If you have a camera, put it up. It would be interesting to find out if it was indeed the armadillo. I'm really not sure. I have gotten it on my game cameras.

If you have a camera, put it up.

Yeah, we don't have cameras now but will be getting a few sometime in the future. I just saw another one not too long ago digging to get into the yard, while I was standing there milking the goats! Little buggers are getting on my nerves.

Back
Top Bottom