Nipple watering

I use very hard well water too and haven't had issues as of yet, time will tell. I also bypass the water softener. Everyone says horizontal nipples are great for winter, I've not used them so I can't say if they drip or not. I will try sourcing some cheaply before the deep freeze starts, if my heated waterer doesn't keep them warm enough, they will freeze for sure. I've already had -2
℃ some nights and the cold isn't even here yet.​
About your other question about how I attached the jug. My waterer was up against the coop wall so I only had to screw the jug to the wall aswell, about 4 inches below. The only reason I changed the way I watered is to make it easier for me. My coop is small and the small door I used to access the waterer is now inside a covered run I made for the coming winter. So I made a new one and moved it into the covered run. The bucket handle hangs from two bent L brackets I screwed to a 2x3. Those two panels stop the chickens from standing on the waterer. It's easy to refill and stays clean of poo.
thank you. Very helpful information. I like how your waterer is set up.

Thanks, I got a 9 foot pipe heating cable wrapped around the bucket, turns on when it hits 32F.
Then I wrapped it with 1 inch thick fiberglass insulation and heating duct insulation.
Untested in the cold though. It'l probably work ok during the day because the way I have my run setup.
There should be a greenhouse effect, like my actual greenhouse stays 15 degrees warmer in winter.

Sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't read all 26 pages. How high up should the nipples wateres be hung up for the chickens to be able to use them? thank you

Sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't read all 26 pages. How high up should the nipples wateres be hung up for the chickens to be able to use them? thank you
just so where chick or chicken can raise their head up and peck at nipples. To low will be hitting them constantly and to high they will struggle to reach.

Do you have a cross beak? I see your avatar. I'm not sure but I would think it would be difficult for a cross beak to drink effectively from a nipple waterer.

I do. I have two hens with a cross beak. All my others are fine. I have the water cups as well, just wanted to try both.

What is the appropriate height for horizontal nipples? I see that vertical nipples should be above the birds' head levels but no real guideline for horizontal nipples.

Thanks!

What is the appropriate height for horizontal nipples? I see that vertical nipples should be above the birds' head levels but no real guideline for horizontal nipples.

They should be mounted several inches below eye level, so that the bird is pecking downward when they use them like they are drinking from open water or a bowl... Unlike vertical nipples where you want the bird to peck upwards to use them you want the opposite with horizontal nipples, the bird should be pecking downward....

The actual height is not critical, even at just a few inches above the ground they will manage to use them but ideally you want them a little higher to they don't pile litter up around them, IMO it's best to treat them like you would an open water bowl or cup in regards to height...

They should be mounted several inches below eye level, so that the bird is pecking downward when they use them like they are drinking from open water or a bowl... Unlike vertical nipples where you want the bird to peck upwards to use them you want the opposite with horizontal nipples, the bird should be pecking downward....

The actual height is not critical, even at just a few inches above the ground they will manage to use them but ideally you want them a little higher to they don't pile litter up around them, IMO it's best to treat them like you would an open water bowl or cup in regards to height...

Thank you!

I do. I have two hens with a cross beak. All my others are fine. I have the water cups as well, just wanted to try both.

They likely will not take to the nipples if other water sources are available. It is recommended to remove other bowls when introducing the nipple waterers. In my experience, while they may go peck and check it out, they always return to the bowls. So, you might want to save yourself the money.

Back
Top Bottom