Nipple watering

OK, so I hung a 5 gal waterer with 4 nipples a week ago for 18 6-wk-olds. I was filling a quart bowl once daily before, but noticed I am filling it twice daily since hanging the nipples and they empty it faster. The nipples are all working and checked twice daily. All of them know how to use it.

However, when I fill the bowl, they all run over for water and start gulping larger amounts than they seem to get from the nipples. I am worried they aren't getting enough from the nipples...?
I had the same experience where the hens would seem to drink more water when I left out a bucket of water versus the nipples. Now, I don't put out a bucket of water. Their only choice is to get water from the nipples. All the hens are healthy and laying production is great.

Last edited:
Phew! Just successfully got my last baby drinking from the nipple waterer. (They are three weeks old.) The first one learned in 10 minutes, the second in an hour, the third took me holding her beak to the drip (I used a rubber band to hold it open so I had both hands for her) after 4 or so hours of her trying to drink the drops on the floor below, and the last one (my shiest) took 7 hours and two rounds of beak dripping. She was starting to get really droopy and I was super concerned about dehydration.

Tonight they'll go back inside to a dark brooder with a traditional mason jar waterer. I'm trusting that they'll remember the nipple techniques in the morning when they go back outside.

I think it's hilarious that their first technique is to peck viciously at the nipple, and over time they learn to gently hold their beak next to it or at its top.

Last edited:
I have used the vertical nipples for about 6 weeks, have had wet floor underneath during the whole time (and no self leaking nipples, seems like the water runs down when the birds activate them).
I have installed a new bucket with 5 horizontals, and not a single drop of water, so, they are the wi nners in my book

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with any company or seller of these

I have used the vertical nipples for about 6 weeks, have had wet floor underneath during the whole time (and no self leaking nipples, seems like the water runs down when the birds activate them).
I have installed a new bucket with 5 horizontals, and not a single drop of water, so, they are the wi nners in my book

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with any company or seller of these.
The nipples are letting out to much water when the birds drink. This is caused by poor design or water pressure that is to high. It can also be that the nipple height above the birds is incorrect.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with any company or seller of these

The nipples are letting out to much water when the birds drink. This is caused by poor design or water pressure that is to high. It can also be that the nipple height above the birds is incorrect.

Or it could be that Horizontal Nipples are just better.

Are there different size nipples? I ordered some from Amazon and they are a lot smaller than I expected them to be. I've been having the chicks drink from a bird waterer (like for finches or hamsters with the little ball-bearing). I'm hoping that they transition well.

Back
Top Bottom