Nirvana (well, almost) = auto watering

Bluff Country Chicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
SE MN
I realize this post could go under "Flock management" perhaps, but it's relating to my 4 week-old Cornish Xs...so I put it here.
My 2y.o. son Markie helped me complete my auto chicken nipple watering system & installation today. The birds need to figure it out ...but I'm excited to be able to possibly be done cleaning out the other waterers. I had read to have the nipples at 18", but I figured I'd put the nipples at 15" as the Cornish Xs are shorter now. I figure I will raise them to 18" in a week or so. Does anyone have advice re: changing nipple height?

Sorry no advice from me but I hope someone can help I've been wondering the same thing, all of mine still prefer to drink out of the dogs water bowl.

Hubby and I were just discussing this a few minutes ago beings we are almost finished building the tractor and are working on the nipple watering system. My meaties are almost 4 weeks old. I'm hoping someone has some good ideas!
smile.png
I'll let you know if hubby and I are able to brainstorm anything up.

Pics Pics Pics!

Welcome to BYC, Newbies
smile.png

Maybe ModelA would.... he's good with watering systems! I'll send him a PM alerting him that his assistance is needed in isle 5.

what's up Itsy? did you say "pics" 3 times fast?

hello peeps!

I really like the nipple waterers, so glad you found them.

I use them for my Quail and Chickens. for us it works to keep them right around eye level, but like to have 2 different heights in the same pen if you can manage it.

67513_p1030298.jpg

and I also have a hanging 2-liter bottle with 8 bantam cornish chicks right now.

67513_p1030292.jpg

also use the orange cups.

67513_p1030281.jpg

67513_p1030280.jpg

67513_p1030352.jpg

and the dog bowls.

67513_p1030266.jpg

67513_p1030267.jpg

I like the orange nipples the best! far less water wasted, far less clean up.

this is a nice system too, by redbrush farm- very, very nice!- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=540599

good
luck ya'll!

thumbsup.gif

Any advice on how to get them interested in it? mine free range in the yard all day and only go back into the coop to 1 follow me, 2 lay their eggs, 3 to sleep. Even when I know they're thirsty and I've shown them the water dripping from the nipples they would just rather wait till I fill up the water bowl for the dog and then help themselves.

add some vinegar to the dog bowl water? and put some sugar water in the nipples?

they will eventually go to it when they are thirsty, prolly just easier to get a gulp rather than a drop at a time, we would prolly do the same thing
smile.png

I just transitioned my flock of 50 Freedom Rangers to nipples at around 3.5 weeks. I have the chickens on pasture in electric poultry netting. Since the chickens are small now, I wanted adjustable height. I put 4 nipples in the bottom of 5 different five gallon food safe buckets. I built 2 stands that each hold 2 buckets. The fifth bucket hangs in the a-frame shelter. The stands have 3 "feet", witch is more stable on uneven ground than 4. Then there is a frame that holds the buckets. The frame can slide up or down on the stand and is held in place by a j-bolt. The j-bolt can be pulled out and the bucket holding frame can be moved up and down.

I just put the buckets in the chicken paddock and crouched down still and quite for a while. When the chickens came over to check out the new additions to the paddock, I pushed on the nipples with my fingers to show them the water coming out. Then I snatched up 4 or 5 chickens in a row and pressed the nipple with their beaks. Then those 5 chickens definitely knew what to do. I figured the other chickens would see them using the nipples and catch on. Over the next two days, I let the conventional waterers run out of water for a couple hours then longer and longer. They were off the conventional waterers in less than 3 days. They probably would have been fine after one day, but I didn't see the need to risk it since it's been hot.

Good luck with your system!

Back
Top Bottom