No chirp and wiggle on 49 day old emu eggs?

I just saw an egg wiggle! I keep opening the incubator to get fresh air in there and one eggs started rocking when I whistled at it. It was going crazy rocking back and forth! I'm so excited. Today is Day 51. What do you advise for humidity level for hatching? I'm in the very dry desert, so there is almost no humidity if I don't add a little water to a pan. Right now I have it at 30% and I'm trying to keep it there for hatching.
told ya!!!! I just set a 9 oz cup of water inside the incubator during the final stages of hatching and it boosts my humidity an additional 10% to approximately 40%. But you should not have any problems as long as the humidity is in the 30-40% range.

Last edited:
My eggs were incubated at 96.5 and the first one didn't hatch until day 56 - you can spike the humidity up to 40 -45%, but that's up to you - that's where mine were at all during incubation and my weight loss was at 15%.

I don't worry about the humidity at hatch.. so long as your home is in the 30 to 40% range (give or take a bit) then don't worry about it

It's more important that the hatching eggs have plenty of oxygen so the chicks don't die from carbon dioxide poisoning.

Day 52 is over now and no signs that the emu are trying to come out of the eggs. Just a lot of wiggling. The humidity is around 30% and I'm opening up the incubator every few hours to let carbon dioxide out

Still haven't come out yet! I keep telling them, "Come out, it's time to be alive now."
roll.png

Thank you! Still waiting on egg number 2. I can hear him moving around in the egg. I've stayed up all night checking on the egg because I was so worried that his big brother would knock him around and confuse him and he would be too disorientated to make it out. How long do you normally leave your chicks to dry off in the incubator? The chick seems pretty dry now, he hatched five hours ago. I need to run to the store and pick up some towels for the laundry room/brooder that I'm going to keep him in, so I was hoping to leave him in the incubator for another five hours or so.

Back
Top Bottom