No eggs, 20 weeks old.

Thebernards

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
So I have 9 chickens that are 20 weeks old that I have raised since 3 days old and no one has laid eggs. I have: 1 leghorn, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 Delawares, 2 rhode islands, 2 Americaunas. I have them on a quality layer feed, I offer grit and oyster shells, they free range on 1/2 an acre everyday. I also bought those fake ceramic eggs to put in their nesting boxes (12 boxes total). I just don't know!!! Is it possible for every single one to be a dud?!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
What on earth am I doing wrong? What more can I do? One of the Delawares slept in a nesting box last night instead of the roost with the rest so I skipped out this morning to be disappointed, this ones been making a lot of noise too.

One of our Ameraucana's just started laying at 19 weeks. They are 20 weeks now and we've only gotten 5 eggs so far out of the 5 birds that we have that are laying age. We are still feeding them grower food and just added a tray of oyster shells too. I guess the rest just aren't ready yet! They need to hurry up tho lol

I'm reading that 24 weeks is "average". So hopefully in the next couple months we will have some chickens laying and they stop being freeloaders, lol.

So I have 9 chickens that are 20 weeks old that I have raised since 3 days old and no one has laid eggs. I have: 1 leghorn, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 Delawares, 2 rhode islands, 2 Americaunas. I have them on a quality layer feed, I offer grit and oyster shells, they free range on 1/2 an acre everyday. I also bought those fake ceramic eggs to put in their nesting boxes (12 boxes total). I just don't know!!! Is it possible for every single one to be a dud?!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
What on earth am I doing wrong? What more can I do? One of the Delawares slept in a nesting box last night instead of the roost with the rest so I skipped out this morning to be disappointed, this ones been making a lot of noise too.

They're still a bit young. Have their combs reddened up yet? Usually before they starte to lay they will check out the nest boxes.
What feed are they on? I never start layer food until they start laying, then I switch them over. Until then, depending on their age they may be on grower or on all flock. Once their combs redden I add a bowl of oyster shell and then when the majority are laying I switch over to layer.

They're still a bit young.  Have their combs reddened up yet?  Usually before they starte to lay they will check out the nest boxes.
    What feed are they on?  I never start layer food until they start laying, then I switch them over.  Until then, depending on their age they may be on grower or on all flock.  Once their combs redden I add a bowl of oyster shell and then when the majority are laying I switch over to layer.
so my girl have red coombs..... NO eggs yet, still on grower. Should I offer oyster? And do I do that mixed with the feed or separate? My first flock
1f414.png
1f61c.png

Last edited:
my pullets are about 24 weeks old. No eggs yet. I guess I made a mistake by feeding them lay mash at about 15 weeks old, Is this the reason they have not started laying?

I do not feed layer feed at all, because I have all ages. I use an all flock for everyone. My laying hens have oyster shell in a seperate dish for when they need it. Feeding them layer feed will not speed up the actual event of getting an egg. They will lay when they are ready. And they are all different so it will be at different times. It should be soon, but don't get discouraged. It is a very exciting day when you get that first egg.
Good Luck!

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

This may be the issue. Free rangers have no idea they're "supposed" to lay in those nice boxes. They find places under bushes, behind trash cans, in feed sacks, on hay bales, in dog food, planters, under a raised coop, at the base of a fence.....the list goes on and on. I'd confine them to the coop for a few days and you might be surprised
smile.png

Oh, and

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom