no eggs and an overbearing neighbor

CIgal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
NW Washington
All winter I was getting anywhere from 2-4 eggs from my 5 laying hens. This number turned to 1 or 2 and after a couple weeks 0.
I have not changed anything in their routine/diet, so I'm bewildered. I have noticed recently that my nosey overbearing neighbor has bought a bag of scratch (she told me she didn't think I was feeding them enough even though they have a 50 lb auto feeder! what the heck??
smack.gif
) and throws table scraps over the fence to the chickens. She does this several times per day! Now, I occasionally give my girls some spinach, scrambled egg, or cauliflower but not continually table scraps and never scratch. Do you think her numerous treats per day could be the problem causing them to not lay? Causing an imbalance in their diet?
Today was the final straw when I found multiple beef bones covered in fat & strawberries in their run
somad.gif
I asked her politely to stop feeding them because I think it may be why they're not laying. That didn't go well. I could tell she was very offended but frankly they are my birds... MY babies!
duc.gif

Anyway I'm going to see how it goes. What are your guys' thoughts on this? Think this may be my cause for lack of eggs?

I think it is likely to be your laying problem.

My hens have "slacked-off" on their laying a couple of times when I have only fed "Scratch" with no (or very little) "Layer Pellets".

thumbsup.gif

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

No, i doubt thats why they arent laying... (unless they're not getting enough layer feed? That would cause them to slow down laying..)
BUT... she shouldnt be feeding them without your permission.
Did you KNOW shes been feeding them all along? Maybe shes confused and thought she could feed them if you knew shes been feeding them all this time?...

Last edited:
Not only laying issues but' bones with fat on them '- IF the chickens don't eat it imagine what rodents etc. it will attract. Let her keep her own garbage. I bet she is throwing things over that she would otherwise dump out - and thinks she is doing you a big favor and not wasting food.

My chickens would love it if someone gave them fatty beef bones and strawberries.
lol.png
I would certainly love it if my neighbors bought them food.

I think that you need to take a breath and calm down. Are your chickens molting? Is there any chance that they are laying elsewhere? Have they been scared or startled lately? Is anyone broody? Do they have any health issues like lice that need to be taken care of?

My neighbors have chicken killing dogs, try to connect their sewer systems to my field drainage, sell drug, and have threatened my life. Yours are feeding your chickens strawberries. CAN I TRADE????

Think about it, is it really worth a blow up with your neigbhor over a few eggs??????? Just pick up anything that they don't eat, like the bones, and put them on her porch. She will get the drift eventually. (Let them peck the bone first, they might like the extra meat/fat. Chickens are not vegetarians.
big_smile.png
) And if she dosen't, just ignore her and enjoy your babies.

Maybe it would be a good idea to suggest to your neighbor that she get some chickens of her own! Tell her politely and excitedly how much you love your chickens, and that since owning them, you wish everybody could enjoy their own chickens as much as you do! You could even tell her where to get some, tell her about BYC, etc. If her attentions were in her own yard, they wouldn't be in yours - - - just a thought!

And by the way - I had a single pet hen for 9 yrs, she would not eat layer feed, only scratch and forage - she laid eggs for almost her whole life, except for rest and moulting. (I gave her sips of coffee with cream and sugar three times a week, which I think stimulated her egg production. You can try that, too!)

I don't think this would be the source of your laying problem...

Hens do start to moult and at that time, they stop laying as well... I would imagine that to be the culperit.

I wish my neighbors would toss my hens scraps! I give mine scraps as much as I can (adults only anyway). Moldy bread, veggie scraps, leftover spaghetti, corncops, watermelon skins, pineapple hearts and "sides", kiwi skins, apple cores, leftover rice, oatmeal, yogurt............

I would ask her not to give them the scratch all the time though.... and also maybe not throw meat over.... cuz like someone else said, if the hens don't eat that, it might attract some nasty varmint.

Back
Top Bottom