No eggs in almost three weeks!!!!!

Cluck29609

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
I have a small backyard flock, coop and pen, not free range (coyotes, and too many dogs!). My seven girls went through the worst molt I've ever had since I got them (3 years in July). Then we have had this insanely cold weather. They all have their feathers back, they are eating well. I have to put fresh water out three times a day when it's this cold as it keeps freezing. I upped their feed to the meat bird feed, which is higher protein. I supplement with scratch and meal worms, and every other day, they are getting a huge tray of mixed vegetables, kale, quinoa (very high protein), and a couple of cans of cat food. Once the days got short, production went way down (7 hens, only one is supposedly an every day layer), maybe 1-2 eggs a day. Then once they started this awful molt, no eggs at all, and they haven't laid an egg since! Is this unusual? What can I do to kickstart the eggs again! They're not holding up their end of the bargain! Ha! Bev

Most of mine had a hard molt this year too. Usually most gradually molt and they'll squeak out a few eggs but this year nodda. Not an egg for two months. I've upped my birds to 12 hours light total (started supplemental lighting this weekend) to get them jumped started into laying again.

Recovery from the molt and day length are significant factors, but depending upon the breeds involved, your birds may have passed their more productive years. They will resume laying, but very likely not at the same level as last year.

Completely normal. It's the length of daylight that triggers egg laying. They will start up Feb-Mar, or you could add supplemental lighting to give them a jump start. That will still take time to get them going though. Given they are almost 3 years old they won't lay as well as they did when younger.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

Not unusual at all. Just a thought, you might want to check their poop to see if the quinoa is cracked or whole. Some birds have issue digesting small seed like grains. I fed mine millet, and upon inspection found that it was serving no purpose unless I ground it. As they were doing fine, I just dropped it. If you choose to add extra light, make sure you do it gradually, a few minutes in the morning and a few in the evening to extend daylight. They don't react to sudden changes in additional light as one would expect. I have two year old hens that went into a molt on September 5 that have not started laying yet. I don't use supplemental light. Others have and thankfully my young pullets have now started, but not as I would have expected.

Thanks, all! I was hoping to not have to use extra light, but I might give it a try. I have always used a 15W moon light in the winter, but not for light really, just enough to keep the small waterer from freezing completely. Easy enough to change it to a regular light for a bit in the morning and again at night. I might just let them have their break, as I have a source for farm eggs if I need it. Just can't even eat store eggs anymore - no taste! Ha! And I cook the quinoa, so they aren't getting raw.

Back
Top Bottom