No eggs

one chick

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
I have seven chickens and only three of them. The two white ones and one black one will lay eggs. I changed the food which they seem to like better. The organic blend from tractor supply. They get a lot of water. They have my whole backyard and I give them fruit and bread and pasta to eat as well. Does anybody have the same problem?

Lots of things can effect how many eggs a chicken lays. High heat levels during the summer will reduce the amount of eggs. Certain breeds also lay more or less the other breeds. Age is another factor.
The other thing you mentioned was feeding treats. How much and often are they getting the bread, pasta, fruit, etc.?

Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Depending on how big your yard is.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom