NO Hormones in Poultry Production - now will people believe?

People will never believe any of this, well some anyway. The same goes for dairy. I grew up on a dairy farm, we had Holsteins. I went to an agricultural school where again we raised Holsteins. I have NEVER given or seen a cow EVER receive any kind of hormones or steroids but yet they market organic milk...... Farmers sell to co ops, in our case we sold to agrimart, none of them used any of that stuff but yet people believe what they are told from "marketing people" that all this "extra" stuff is added and then it creates a new market to sell to. Of the farms I have been on they pasture their cows, they feed silage or haylage, they feed regular hay (alfalfa) and maybe a small amount of grain twice a day (by small amount I mean a small bucket, about 1 gallon maybe). My point is, people are buying into this "marketing scam" as I call it and are buying the same exact stuff they use to buy but now it says organic or hormone free..... This is such a brilliant marketing scam though, I have to give credit to thise guys....

What about the rampant use of antibiotics? (even states on the antibiotics package " increases production and feed conversion")
There are falsehoods in all kinds of marketing, but I would rather my children eat as chemical free as possible.
Grow your own as much as possible. Purchase locally as much as possible.

Well, I was told from a poultry farmer in GA that "They (the chicken companies) totally set you up from the birds right down to their "medicines" (wink wink)..." I'll keep buying local farm raised by people I know well as long as I can, especially when I have someone who knows first hand what actually goes on, telling me things like this. Granted I could've taken the wink and finger quotes the wrong way, but really... ?? Anybody can go on record and say what ever they want, that doesn't make it true. Who knows what's true any more...

Quote:
EXACTLY! The ONLY antibitoc I have ever used and ever seen used on our farm was Penacillian and that was used very sparingly. You can't avoid cases of mastitis and other things. Sometimes they have to be used just like in humans.

***EDIT**** I just want to add this because I forgot to. When ever we used an antibiotic on a cow, we NEVER allowed that milk to go to the tank for a day or two. We either dumped it or gave it to the cats. (I know, poor cats..)

LOL sorry another edit..... They also test the milk when they come to empty your tank. Because one truck gets milk from multiple local farms they take a sample from every farmers tank and then before they dump the milk into the overall larger tank they get the sample results. There was one time they found a trace of an antibiotic from our sample and we had to buy the entire tank on the truck and they dumped it all. The antibiotic was penacillian.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know about commercial chicken farmers but in the dairy world, the milk you buy in the stores IS from local farmers. You see, local farmers sell their milk to co-ops which are owned by the farmers. The co-ops then sell to major milk companies like Garlelick or Hood. So in the end, you are actually buying milk from local farmers, now wether they are local to you or local to me depends on the brand that you buy. I buy my milk from a company that buys it's milk from Maine co-ops, so that to me is local and I am supporting the farmer next door because he sells to that co-op who then sells to my milk company.

Quote:
I don't know about commercial chicken farmers but in the dairy world, the milk you buy in the stores IS from local farmers. You see, local farmers sell their milk to co-ops which are owned by the farmers. The co-ops then sell to major milk companies like Garlelick or Hood. So in the end, you are actually buying milk from local farmers, now wether they are local to you or local to me depends on the brand that you buy. I buy my milk from a company that buys it's milk from Maine co-ops, so that to me is local and I am supporting the farmer next door because he sells to that co-op who then sells to my milk company.

In my area it's the Hiland company that buys and packages the milk from local dairymen. Even the "store brand" from our area Walmarts is packaged by Hiland.......or at least when I traced the packaging code it went to Hiland.

Back
Top Bottom