No idea what I'm doing but I love my bird and didn't want him to become food

Turkeybird

Hatching
Aug 11, 2017
Hello Backyard Chickens! My name is Adrienne, I live in Missouri, and happen to find myself with a rooster chick after a weird road trip with a friend to the country. I live in the suburbs, however a rather woodsy part of it (we get a lot of wild-life like wolves and turkeys even though it's a neighborhood).

Like most I found out, I didn't know my chicken would be a rooster when I got him from the random "meat" bin for about 50c. It worked out for the better though, as mentioned, I live in a place with lots of animal sounds and noisy critters anyway, so it turned out not to be an issue. The neighbors haven't complained, and quite frankly, I feel like if they were going to complain about noise, across the street from me is a loud band that plays percussion instruments at 3am so.. yeah, they would probably start there.

Anyway, my guy is pretty big now, I got him in April of this year. I've learned a lot as I go, but there's still a lot I would like to learn to help this guy thrive in my home. I'll tell you guys a bit about him, but please remember, I got him as a chick having no idea how to care for him. I've done my best on a budget with common sense about animal-care, google, and consistently calling feed stores for advice.

He lives in a pretty big room all to himself. There's a dog-food dispenser that I filled with Encore-Layer Feed pellets, someone at a feed store recommended I give him All Flock feed instead, so I've been searching for a good deal on amazon or something, since all feed stores are around 3 hours away from me. In the mean time, that's what has. He has a 5 lb chicken waterer that I keep clean and full. He has some large-bird toys that I bought at petco, and some guinea-pig willow balls that he likes to try to stand on and kick around. There's a small-sized dog crate with a large log-tunnel I used to use for a Bearded Dragon inside, sometimes he'll go inside and sit on it for a minute. There's also lots of furniture items that he likes to perch on. I'll open the door to the outside of the room, but he doesn't leave. I've taken him outside before, but he seems pretty unhappy and has actually climbed over my shoulder to go back inside. As mentioned we have a lot of predatory animals that frequent the yard that he can for sure see from all the windows, so I guess I don't blame him. Plus he's the only one. The floor is cement, so clean up is fairly easy. He also keeps it bug free, I never see any flies or anything. I check him for lice and fleas and what not and haven't seen any yet.

He wears a rooster collar since I read that they help to keep the crows from carrying /as far/ as they normally would. But honestly I don't think it works. I don't want to tighten it to much more. He crows a lot in the morning, if he keeps up someone in my home, I'll put him in the dog crate and throw a heavy comforter over it. He'll make little clucky sounds and then quiets down down. I never leave him in for to long.

He molted recently, but all his feathers came back pretty quick. The store-clerk at the feed store said that that was his "going into adult-hood molt".

Lets see, I read some articles that told me I need to become the dominant rooster, so when they crow or seem.. I guess feisty with you, you lightly hold your hand on their back and hold their head down till they calm down. I tried this for about 3 days consistently, and his body language towards me changed. He can see me from a big sliding glass door that leads to his room, when I walk by, he crouches down almost completely, and does a kind of little tap dance, looking at me with his head down and wings closed. Anyone know what that's about? I tried to find a guide somewhere on rooster noises and body language, but I can't find to much. He's not afraid of me, but that weird behavior has shown up.

In terms of consistent sounds, he makes a little soft clucky sound, sometimes a single loud squawk, something that sounds akin to zoidberg from futurama
, a low subtle gravely sound kind of like someone gritting while they hum, and of course crowing.

Body language I usually see, are as mentioned, the little head-down squatty tap-dance looking up at me, a kind of strutty-side eye, occasionally nipping at my boot-zipper, flappy wings chest out, and a long stare from the window with one eye. He also likes to fling toys, I figure he's just kind of having fun, but I don't know, maybe he hates his little elephant toy.

Anyway, so this is a nutshelled how my rooster lives. If anyone wants to offer me some advice on how to improve his life or teach me what certain things mean/how I can approach them better, I'd be super grateful! Thank you so much for your time :).

Oh and by the way, he was apparently vaccinated at the place I bought him from, and I check him over for health problems each day (odd behavior/discoloring/anything that would be an indicator of bad health for any animal). He seems totally fine, but if there's ever a problem, there's a chicken vet somewhat near me.

Last edited:
Chickens are social and typically do better with other chickens in the flock. But with a rooster it's best to have 10 to 12 hens per rooster, so he won't over mate the hens.

The "tap dancing" is a sign that he's coming into maturity and attempting to get, in this case, you to let him mate you. Because you're the only one around he will substitute you as his hen. At some point he may become agressive due to frustration of not being able to mate. Down the road you may want to make him into food. lol

Last edited:
Oh dear, your story is very sweet but that rooster is going to go south on you real soon. He's maturing, he's going to get bored, and he's going to act out. Nothing you can do it's just what he is. From what you're describing as his behavior you don't have very long. If you had a better environment with more natural stimulus for the guy trees, bugs, the outside you might have a nice rooster pet. You're keeping a rooster, a full of raging hormones male chicken in your house and it's not going to end well.

Body language I usually see, are as mentioned, the little head-down squatty tap-dance looking up at me, a kind of strutty-side eye, occasionally nipping at my boot-zipper, flappy wings chest out, and a long stare from the window with one eye. He also likes to fling toys, I figure he's just kind of having fun, but I don't know, maybe he hates his little elephant toy.
If you were worried that he's afraid of you, then don't. I can guarantee he isn't.

That head down, dropped wing posturing, along with tossing around things on the ground is NOT nice behavior towards you at all. It's a challenge. If you had hens he likely would have flogged you by now.

He has his wings closed when he does the thing, but regardless, I did see him try to act out a side-ways mating dance thing on me. I just started nudging him out of the way, putting my hand on his back and holding him down on the floor for a moment, or picking him up and putting him somewhere else. And any animal hitting maturity is going to get nasty, I've been mauled by much larger animals than a horny rooster. I'm not worried about this bird injuring me. I would like him to be more comfortable though, should I just keep trying to take him outside?

I'm going to sound terrible so I'm going to apologize before I ever start. I'm sorry. Have you ever thought that maybe you're being unfair to your guy? Think about it, all the things roosters do he's missing out on. Pecking dirt, chasing tail, dust bathing, enjoying the sunshine, crunching a stink bug.He's not getting any of that. He sees a window and you. I know you love the rooster but unless you're willing to be his hen and roll in the dirt with him you're just not going to be enough. Honestly you're kind of Mother Bates just with a rooster. I am not so much worried that you're going to get mauled, im concerned his life is going to stink.Honestly, I mean nothing bad I'm just being logical.

Last edited:
That's kind of a bold assumption, plus I'm reaching out and /trying to learn/ how to be a better owner. I just got him in April and came here due to NOT BEING ABLE to find much information after looking. I give him cans of stink-beetle larvae every other week, as well as bags of grit and cracked corn, though I try not to over do the treats and grit. I was looking into some kind of dusty animal/floor bedding for him, but I don't know what's best yet. I'm also not sure about getting hens just yet. I need to do a bit more research. I've been taking him outside but he still seems a bit adverse to it. I got him outside for awhile, but he mostly stayed close to me. Honestly however, this community may not be the best resource for a beginner. I've gotten the suggestion to let him do me, eat him, and read a biography. I appreciate any genuine info given, but so far.. I think I'm leaning towards finding maybe a local community or something for advice/teaching.

Last edited:
That's kind of a bold assumption
Actually it's really not that bold or uncommon,
it's definitely honest and not what you wanted to hear.
Most folks here have backyard birds for eggs and/or meat and want them to have to most desirable environment in which to thrive. A bird living alone inside does not fit that goal.
A public forum is you get what you get, need bring your thicker skin, you can accept the critiques of others or ignore them, but everyone is allowed to express their opinions.
There's a ton of info here, and many different perceptions on what chickens need, but it takes time and effort to read thru it to find the info that fits your situation.

You might search here for 'indoor birds'.
Here, I'll do it for you,
this should get you started but feel free to search other keywords:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/4468761/?q=indoor+birds&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Back
Top Bottom