No Ordinance. Still told to get rid of them! MICH.

IFF the zoning code has a statement in the rules of construction that only specifically allowed uses are permitted, and that all other uses are NOT permitted, then yes, they are forbidden unless poultry keeping is an allowed use. Now you will need to read the allowed uses, because various agricultural uses could be lumped together under more general terminology. If the rules of construction do not contain a limiting statement, then no, not being mentioned does not mean forbidden.

IFF the zoning code has a statement in the rules of construction that only specifically allowed uses are permitted, and that all other uses are NOT permitted, then yes, they are forbidden unless poultry keeping is an allowed use. Now you will need to read the allowed uses, because various agricultural uses could be lumped together under more general terminology. If the rules of construction do not contain a limiting statement, then no, not being mentioned does not mean forbidden.
Highly unlikely!

Of course if that were the case it could be a lot of fun. Do you have any neighbors who keep cats, dogs, canaries, goldfish? How about growing a garden, planting flowers or a lawn? Cooking outdoors, repairing your car or installing a birdbath? The list of 'permitted' uses would have to be endless, and any court would decide that such a law was unenforceable.
lau.gif

Haven't brought them back yet. I haven't picked up the wording from city hall yet, but as it was explained to me there are no specifics at all. Nothing about livestock, so in that case as pp has said, dogs shouldn't be allowed either. If that is how it's interpreted. I decided to go the route "make them admit I can have them" thus far. I am waiting for the zoning admin to call me this morning.

Last edited:
I called this morning, since I wasn't getting a reply and was planning on picking them up from the in-laws today. Council had a 2 hour meeting this morning. About hens. 4 hens. And this afternoon are calling a conference between them (I believe council and zoning), the chief and the attorney and hope to have an answer later or by tomorrow. That is a lot of time for something they should have just let go. I did mention Ex Post Facto Laws to the zoning admin. who said she wasn't against me having chickens, but they have to follow this process. So we will see. Backyard Chicken Awareness will make front page news tomorrow. So anyone in the area, pick up a Tri-City times!

get your local news involoved let them know there is no orandace and all that you said her its amazing once it goes public on the news and newspapers what can happen and you mahy end up helping other people in your hood also

Yup, that's the paper alright. The chief came to my door tonight with a copy of the nothing ordinance, or more accurately a paper showing me what ordinance to go get in the morning. And saying the attorney sided with her. And that now it's in councils hands. And that the Michigan Right to Farm only applies to me if I'm commercial ( the first thing I did was send a letter of intent to the manager, so there should be no confusion there). ...and.....the chief and a state cop have been sitting in front of my house for an hour now, just sitting making a spectacle and giving my 5 kids something to keep looking out the window at.

Back
Top Bottom