No poop in 10 days!

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
We've had a 12 week old BCM pullet quarantined in the house for the past 10 days. She is lethargic and only eats/drinks when prompted (we go in there 20 times a day, to "wake her up"). She will eat starter feed, finely chopped sunflower seeds, and scrambled egg. No
fruits, yogurt, raw milk-soaked bread, cornbread, or any other usual "sick chicken treats". I have added Sulmet to her water, but there has been no improvement. There are no fecal droppings, whatsoever - only urates (for the past 10 days!!). No injuries, swelling, sneezing, gasping or discharge. We have a heating pad (on the lowest setting) under her, and she just sits there and sleeps all day and night, only interrupted by us waking her up to eat and drink.
I cannot believe that she's even alive - but she is. She does not seem to be in pain, her feathers are not ruffled, but she is definitely weak. Any ideas?

If she were an egglayer I would wonder if she were eggbound. That's what happens I have read...the egg blocks the poo and white urates come out. (Yes I realize she is too young for that.)

How is her crop??? Is it hard or squishy? Is it empty or full in the mornings? Could she have impacted crop?

But at 12 weeks of age, I'd say put some Corid in her water, not Sulmet- if you have had her on the Sulmet more than 24 hours and seen no improvement. Corid treats more strains of Coccidiosis than Sulmet and is supposed to be easier on their systems than Sulmet from what I have read.

I don't know what the problem is for sure, as it could be a bacterial infection, for example. But if you add Corid to the water in my experience they perk up WITHIN 24 hours. If it is a bacterial infection, however, antibiotics would be needed. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to advise in that area.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I check her crop twice a day, and it is never very full (she does not eat a whole lot), and definitely not impacted. It's squishy, and seems normal, though somewhat empty. I plan to take your advice and get Corid tomorrow, and hope that this will help her turn around. Beyond that, I really don't know what else to do, and will likely put her down, if she does not get better. I had already decided to do that, but have not, because she does not really seem to be in any pain, and is still eating and drinking. If she stops either or both, I will do what I feel is right :-( . Thanks for replying.

I check her crop twice a day, and it is never very full (she does not eat a whole lot), and definitely not impacted. It's squishy, and seems normal, though somewhat empty. I plan to take your advice and get Corid tomorrow, and hope that this will help her turn around. Beyond that, I really don't know what else to do, and will likely put her down, if she does not get better. I had already decided to do that, but have not, because she does not really seem to be in any pain, and is still eating and drinking. If she stops either or both, I will do what I feel is right :-( . Thanks for replying.

I hope your girl gets better!!!

Back
Top Bottom