No shell and no eggs

DaveMK

Chirping
Nov 2, 2022
Milton Keynes UK
Hi there,
We’ve had 2 hens in a small backyard coop/run since last Nov.

They’ve both laid every day without fail since winter solstice.

We’ve had a bird flu situation here in the UK, and lockdown ended last week, which meant we could let out hens roam in the back garden at weekends fir the last 2 weeks.

Yesterday, one hen had laid 2 eggs in the run without a shell, and today neither hen had laid at all.

I added some comfrey leaves on Saturday.
Could that be the cause?
Or could it be that they have eaten something in the garden that has caused problems?

Thanks
Dave

I added some comfrey leaves on Saturday.
Could that be the cause?
Not sure, but why did you give them comfrey?

Or could it be that they have eaten something in the garden that has caused problems?
Another possibility.

What all and how exactly are you feeding normally?
How old are these birds, in months?

Not sure, but why did you give them comfrey?

Another possibility.

What all and how exactly are you feeding normally?
How old are these birds, in months?
Hello,
I gave them comfrey as I've seen lots of reputable YouTubers recommend it.

They are fed layers pellets via an above feeder.
The birds are about 8 months old.

One of the hens has now laid today, but the one who laid twice without a shell yesterday hasn't laid today.

Fingers crossed she's back to herself tomorrow.

I gave them comfrey as I've seen lots of reputable YouTubers recommend it.
But, what is the purpose/goal/reason for the comfrey???
They really only need a good chicken ration and fresh plain water,
anything else can cause problems.

That reminds me of the saying.......'if everyone jumped off a 1000ft cliff, would you do it too?'
Blimey!
I watch a lot of homesteading videos on YouTube. Most of them advise feeding comfrey to chickens and hens. Edible Acres, Justin Rhodes etc.

Keep your comments to yourself thanks aart.
You seem to be more antagonistic than helpful.

I'm not a pro, but I've heard they can stop laying for a lot of different reasons, feed, illness, molting, and stress. My understanding is that stress can come in a lot of different forms, like changes in their routine, food, or weather.

I have 3 laying hens right now, 1 is laying normally every day, and the other two have either not laid an egg or laid a soft shell egg (2) for the past few days. The last week we've had 100 degree weather and are putting 4 teen chicks in with them (separated by fencing) to slowly integrate them. I've been checking their vents, no swelling, discoloration, or wounds that I can see, and everyone is eating, drinking, and acting normally otherwise.

Maybe they're stressed (yours & mine)?

Back
Top Bottom