Noisy Wyandotte

FreedomGalTx

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
I have a Wyandotte who got her neck feathers plucked by Barred Rock bully. She stopped laying for about 2 weeks but continued to be noisy like she does before laying. So I soaked her in warm water with Epsom salt, dried her off and bam, she laid for 5 days. Now she has stopped again but is almost constantly sqwaking again like she wants to lay an egg. BTW the feather plucking started again. Could.itbe something besides the feather plucking?

First of all, any chicken making a whole lot of vocal noise is not sick or having any sort of health issue. It is the quiet, lethargic chickens that should cause concern. Sick or injured chickens are silent and will not call attention to themselves.

You are onto something, however. Bullying can certainly take its toll, and yes, it can absolutely be a cause of irregular laying. That would be the problem you need to address - how to make this hen feel more secure in the nest box when she wants to lay an egg. More nest boxes in a variety of locations maybe?

First of all, any chicken making a whole lot of vocal noise is not sick or having any sort of health issue. It is the quiet, lethargic chickens that should cause concern. Sick or injured chickens are silent and will not call attention to themselves.

You are onto something, however. Bullying can certainly take its toll, and yes, it can absolutely be a cause of irregular laying. That would be the problem you need to address - how to make this hen feel more secure in the nest box when she wants to lay an egg. More nest boxes in a variety of locations maybe?
The bully is relentless but was our sick baby runt so we love her. We did indeed just add alternate nesting box. We now have 5 boxes for 5 chickens🤣. She actually laid one today. Idk of I helped but when she went in the coop squaking I gave her lots of verbal encouragement. 🤷‍♀️

I agree, I had a couple SLWs, down to one now. When she goes, I'm done with them. She's off her rocker and it's left a bad taste in my mouth with Wyandottes.
I know it might just be an individual thing to the lovers out there, but theirs so many other breeds for me to choose from.
I used to have a picture of one of mine on the roof of out 2 story house...they are typically....loco

I agree, I had a couple SLWs, down to one now. When she goes, I'm done with them. She's off her rocker and it's left a bad taste in my mouth with Wyandottes.
I know it might just be an individual thing to the lovers out there, but theirs so many other breeds for me to choose from.
I have 3 SLW and my mother hen is raising 2 Lavender Wyandottes.

My SLW are my least favorite chickens I have. They don't want to be touched. They bully other chickens for food and nesting boxes. I have seen my 3 grab hens and pull them out of a nesting box even when there were plenty of boxes to lay in that were empty. They team up on others and I am really happy that non of the 3 were roosters.

I have 3 SLW and my mother hen is raising 2 Lavender Wyandottes.

My SLW are my least favorite chickens I have. They don't want to be touched. They bully other chickens for food and nesting boxes. I have seen my 3 grab hens and pull them out of a nesting box even when there were plenty of boxes to lay in that were empty. They team up on others and I am really happy that non of the 3 were roosters.
All of this....exactly. 👍

Back
Top Bottom