Non-commerical Feed

Island Juli

Chirping
Jan 25, 2016
Hi guys, need some input here. We are in the process of moving away from commercial feed for our 200+ chicken flock. They are getting as much papaya as they want (we have a source for truckloads for just $10!). We also are getting a large amount of kitchen scraps from an organic retreat. This amounts to around 8 to 15 large trashcans full a week. In this we get cooked rice and quinoa, cooked and raw veggies, meat scraps and bones, etc. We see them all the time on the compost pile eating and scratching there.

They also have access to a "maggot bucket". All animals that die that aren't processed are put in this bucket that is hanging with holes in the bottom. The maggots drop out the holes, buffet for the chickens!

We are noticing a slow down in egg production, but it could be just seasonal. We are down about 150 eggs over last year for the month of December. It could also be that I have fewer layers this time around than last year.

Do you think they are getting enough nutrition for laying? They do have free access to oyster shell as well.

A bit more information. Breeder pens are getting papaya and commercial feed since they don't have access to the compost and we aren't getting any eggs from them at all! :(

Input or ideas?

Thanks!
Juli

I don’t know what to say since I give mine commercial feed. (Purina Layena) :confused:

The drop in egg production could be of less hours of light during the day, your chickens molting, an illness, old age, etc. Usually, during winter, it is rare to get eggs, but I’ve heard of some chickens laying through winter. I would ‘check up’ on the chickens often, look for signs of illnesses. If a chicken dies, def get a necropsy done by a vet!

If you are set on going non-commercial, here is what you can consider.
  • Custom feed mixes. With 200+ birds, you might save money by getting local farmers or a feed store to mix you a special bulk custom-order of whole grains, nutrients, etc, giving all your birds the non-commercial protein they need.
  • Oyster shell- still provide it!
  • Free range- free range or range forage is a must on the non-commercial diet.
  • Cat kibble- you may not like this suggest, but when birds are molting, provide some cat kibble for extra feather quality and protein.

I make my own feed and I use a premix. I also found a local mill that makes his own that will sell to me. All I can say is making your own takes a lot of research and is not always cheaper. Your chickens may be getting full on what you are feeding them but they may not be getting all the nutrients they need. Their are lots of receipts on the net for chicken feed.

I make my own feed and I use a premix. I also found a local mill that makes his own that will sell to me. All I can say is making your own takes a lot of research and is not always cheaper. Your chickens may be getting full on what you are feeding them but they may not be getting all the nutrients they need. Their are lots of receipts on the net for chicken feed.
Why I stick to commercial. Tried local once (and never again), was dust and not crumbles. Chickens went on strike until I gave them their Purina feed. When we did get eggs, they tasted bland and the color of their yolks went to a pastel yellow color.

I live in Hawaii, so sunlight hours don't vary a lot in the winter months. My hens range in age from 4 months to 3 years. December 2016 we got 1400 eggs, December 2017 we got 1250. No illnesses ever, had dry pox last year, small amount. We've got only a handful molting this year.

They also free range and have access to an abundance of greens, bugs, etc.

Our goal of not feeding commercial is not only financial. There is a large contingency here on the island that want grain-free eggs and poultry. I aim to fill that niche.

No options for locally mixed feed, no grainery on the island. 50 pound bags of Purina Layena run nearly close to $30 here. Out of my price range. I used to buy DuMoore, but it had way too much corn in it for just over $20 a bag, buying a pallet at a time. I still buy feed as we also have 200+ ducks that get commercial feed. One project at a time. :)

Back
Top Bottom