Non-Emergent: help identify poop issues

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
This is from 3 different chicks, I am pretty sure. I will add more info in the pictures. I am in North Alabama where our temps are now staying below 40’s. There has been some very strong smelling poops the past week that just doesn’t smell right.

From a 6 week old chick
DC70F281-B9DD-4675-B46A-AF37EC8C381E.jpeg

I am pretty sure from a 12 week old Orpington, because her rear end shows a little evidence.
2DE9322F-2F29-4834-AA79-FAFFED0B06AF.jpeg

I am betting this is from a 14 week old Bantam Silkie.
5CE605F8-F41F-4D50-9428-6BEF8B43C405.jpeg

Did you look at it on the poop chart? It looks normal to me, but I know nothing. Lol
I do notice that my girls smell stronger when it' super fresh.

Did you look at it on the poop chart? It looks normal to me, but I know nothing. Lol
I do notice that my girls smell stronger when it' super fresh.
I have looked at lots of poop charts and I do think it looks normal. But it seems to keep happening which is making me question it. And I am still getting to know my new flock as they grow too. And this new flock is so different compared to my last.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will pop in here soon enough. Do they have any other symptoms?

Are you aware that there are two types of poop....
.... normal ones which are reasonably solid but crumbly, usually grey/brown/green with a white topping....
.... and cecal poops which are shade of brown anywhere from dark mustard through to almost black, shiny, sticky and pretty disgusting smelling.

Cecal poops occur once in every 9 or 10 poops. The middle photo is a mixture of cecal poop on top of normal poop. The last photo is a cecal poop. The top photo just looks to be a slightly more moist normal poop.

Apologies if you already know this information, but the above 3 poops looks normal for the types of poop they are, to me.

Thank you. I wanted reassurance. And since it was happening at the same time to more than one, I needed to double check. My previous flock of four rarely had any poops that looked like those.

I agree with rebrascora, looks like normal cecal and normal regular droppings. The top one may have some shed intestinal lining in it, also normal. Changes in droppings can sometimes indicate a health problem, but often times do not, just one piece of a larger picture. Dietary changes, water intake, outside temps, etc can all have an effect and it would still be normal. But good that you are aware, when you know what is the norm for your flock it's easier to spot the abnormal early.

Back
Top Bottom