non-rant....reduce consumption....

I agree that the majority of Americans could and should seriously cut back on what they use.

However... Until you've drank someone else's tap water, I wouldn't be so gung ho on hating them for using bottled water.

And resource-wise, it makes more sense for me to keep my 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6 liter engine than it does for me to buy new small car.

Quote:
It's all in personal choices, we better use that power while we have it though. Bottled water could be easily changed to Brita water, cost less too. The truck issue, I am with ya on that one, simply because I can't go buy me a new one either, so basically same boat
wink.png
Still there are many many other things you can change to make just as much impact as those who are driving a fuel efficient car.

I have noticed those fuel efficient car drivers turning up a bottle of water while pulling out of the drive thru....simply because the money they save on gas, goes to their junk food habits. Just sayin...don't think I don't see you people that do this
tongue.png
lol.png

more referring to bedrooms and maybe a dining room

i personally could not block or the kitchen, pantry or bathroom

Quote:
Unless it has some kind of water pipes that could freeze and break.
wink.png

Quote:
Most of the time, a really good water filter attached to the kitchen faucet is sufficient for solving the water taste & water quality issues. There are certainly exceptions.

However, in those cases, it is a better option to buy the large refillable jugs & put it on a water cooler stand at home. It doesn't even have to be a chilled water cooler stand. I've lived in places where tap water was not potable. We just kept a big jug of bottled water on the counter & used it for cooking/drinking. Some stores have machines where you can take your own jug to refill it when you do your weekly shopping. That's preferable to little tiny bottles filling the landfill. Even if you recycle them, the recycling process uses energy.

Edited to add: 3 stage water filters attached to your faucet are what you want, not the cruddy one or two stage things...

Last edited:
Quote:
Unless it has some kind of water pipes that could freeze and break.
wink.png

And that is what most people do, but I do know of at least one person who blocked off the entire second floor of their house and turned off the heat, and they broke not only everything in the bathroom, but the radiant heating as well since they didn't have antifreeze in the system.
sad.png

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cutting consumption, but sometimes you're saving nickels to spend dimes, you know?
smile.png

One good way to reduce consumption is to borrow, rent or co-own things that you don't use often, rather than buy them. Leaf blower that you use once or twice a year? Go in on one with a neighbor, relative or friend. Borrow books from the library rather than buying them, especially novels. Trade video games with friends who have the same gaming system rather than buying them new...same with CDs.

Or, use a broom & rake instead of the leaf blower.
wink.png

And, skip the video game system entirely.
wink.png

Quote:
Most of the time, a really good water filter attached to the kitchen faucet is sufficient for solving the water taste & water quality issues. There are certainly exceptions.

However, in those cases, it is a better option to buy the large refillable jugs & put it on a water cooler stand at home. It doesn't even have to be a chilled water cooler stand. I've lived in places where tap water was not potable. We just kept a big jug of bottled water on the counter & used it for cooking/drinking. Some stores have machines where you can take your own jug to refill it when you do your weekly shopping. That's preferable to little tiny bottles filling the landfill. Even if you recycle them, the recycling process uses energy.

Edited to add: 3 stage water filters attached to your faucet are what you want, not the cruddy one or two stage things...

I couldn't stand my folks tap water. They literally had mold growing on their tap. Bought them a filter pitcher. Found it full of algae.
sickbyc.gif
Brought over a jug of bottled water. We use bottled water at home `cause I don't trust the well, but I do carry and fill up drinking water bottle at work, gymn, and around town doing errands.

Quote:
But some people are not willing to give those things up, so I was offering a kind of "have your cake and eat it too" solution. Imperfect, but better than nuttin'.
smile.png

Ride your bike! I got fun to ride bike with a basket and rear rack last time the price of gas went up. Now if I ran out of milk, I can pedal my self to the market. And it is good exercise as well.

Lists! Make lists for the stores you shop at for the things you need, lay the sheets of lists out in the order of distance. Throw a cooler in the car if you are worried about your food getting warm.

Take a friend, elderly relative etc with you shopping. You can share gas, have company and if you shop at Costco or other bulk stores, share. It is good for both of you as well.

Thriftstores! I love my local "Mall" on mark down day I can buy designer items for $2.

Buy quality, cheap junk might look appealing at k-mart-walmart etc, but if it does not work or last, it is then just more junk. If you're reading this, you have the internet and can do some research on what other people have experienced in a product. I have spent a lot of time doing this in the past few months, seems after 20 years I have worn out some kitchen appliances and need to replace. I am looking for items that will last not just be cheap and in a popular trendy color

We have the worst tap water! Buy a filter, the pitcher ones are cheap enough

Back
Top Bottom