noobie egg questions

I candled the eggs this morning and I have veins and small masses that look kind of like hearts in about 80% of the eggs. Oddly enough, all of the eggs that are bluish-green have no development. It's not even a week yet so I'll give them some more time. There is a possibility that they're not fertile.

I have no idea why the temperature was doing odd things. It has regulated over the past few days, sitting at around 99-100.

I'll keep you posted on any other developments.

I candled the eggs this morning and I have veins and small masses that look kind of like hearts in about 80% of the eggs. Oddly enough, all of the eggs that are bluish-green have no development. It's not even a week yet so I'll give them some more time. There is a possibility that they're not fertile.

I have no idea why the temperature was doing odd things. It has regulated over the past few days, sitting at around 99-100.

I'll keep you posted on any other developments.

IF the temp jumps from 97 to 102 it's OK, as long as it stays in that ball park area you'll be ok, they should still develop just fine. When you put eggs in the temp will change, first it changes when the eggs are first in because it's not at the bator's temp, so until they actually get the same temp as the bator it's going to jump around. it should be more stabled after a day or two,.

When you add water or sponge, again it's going to jump around. So as long as it's in the ball park field you'll be OK. No higher then 102.

I've had the eggs in the incubator now for 7 days. I've candled them and I have development in 11 of the 18 eggs I put in.

I'm assuming that 7 of these eggs are not fertile since they are showing no signs of development. When it is ok to remove them from the incubator? Should I let them go an additional few days or since I'm pretty certain that they are not fertile, can I toss them now?

I've had the eggs in the incubator now for 7 days. I've candled them and I have development in 11 of the 18 eggs I put in. I'm assuming that 7 of these eggs are not fertile since they are showing no signs of development. When it is ok to remove them from the incubator? Should I let them go an additional few days or since I'm pretty certain that they are not fertile, can I toss them now?
You can toss them as long as they are completely clear, I would do an egg autopsy.. Check for any blood rings and check the yolk verify it doesn't have the fertiled ring..

I've had the eggs in the incubator now for 7 days. I've candled them and I have development in 11 of the 18 eggs I put in. I'm assuming that 7 of these eggs are not fertile since they are showing no signs of development. When it is ok to remove them from the incubator? Should I let them go an additional few days or since I'm pretty certain that they are not fertile, can I toss them now?
that egg is fertile. Did you mean to only post one picture?

Yeah, I only posted 1 pic of the fertile, developing eggs. The ones that have no development look identical to eggs prior to incubation: they are clear and lack blood vessels.

Yeah, I only posted 1 pic of the fertile, developing eggs. The ones that have no development look identical to eggs prior to incubation: they are clear and lack blood vessels.

Got CHA, I noticed I have to wait a week or two after they start laying, otherwise the eggs are not fertiled. So perhaps you didn't wait long enough after they started laying...

They've been laying since fall last year. Of the 18 eggs I had collected to incubate, nothing formed in 7 of them. Of the 7, 5 of those eggs were bluish-green, which I've only started getting in the past month. Since I don't know which duck is laying which eggs, I had hoped to hatch something from the blue eggs so I would know who's laying them.

I think you're probably on to something about waiting a week or two when they start laying since whoever's laying the blue eggs had only been laying for about a week prior to me collecting the incubation batch. As for the 2 miscellaneous white eggs that nothing developed in, I can only assume that they were just infertile until I open them up and check them out.

They've been laying since fall last year. Of the 18 eggs I had collected to incubate, nothing formed in 7 of them. Of the 7, 5 of those eggs were bluish-green, which I've only started getting in the past month. Since I don't know which duck is laying which eggs, I had hoped to hatch something from the blue eggs so I would know who's laying them.

I think you're probably on to something about waiting a week or two when they start laying since whoever's laying the blue eggs had only been laying for about a week prior to me collecting the incubation batch. As for the 2 miscellaneous white eggs that nothing developed in, I can only assume that they were just infertile until I open them up and check them out.

I just noticed with my flock, the minute I start collecting, NOTHING but the next batch which is usually a week later, all of a suddently boom fertiled. LOL

I just noticed with my flock, the minute I start collecting, NOTHING but the next batch which is usually a week later, all of a suddently boom fertiled. LOL

I'd say that's Murphy's Law in action! hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom