Noooo..... My dogs.........

I have a 2.5 year old chocolate lab that is trained to retrieve ducks. He is extremely hard headed and stubborn. Take one look at him and he is "pure lab" he loves the water and learns command very quickly. I got my chickens after I got him and I knew I would have to train him to not go after them. You can't keep them separate their whole lives.
Because dogs are pack members, they think in a group setting. Having 2 other dogs meant that they had to know I am the boss, not them. That's the first step. As long as the dogs know that you are the boss, no questions asked, it'll be easier to train them not to go after the chickens. The way I started was walking him past the chicken coop on a leash. I didn't pay any attention to the chickens, and corrected him when he did. I wanted him to know he can only pay attention to the chickens when I said it was okay. After I was able to walk past it without him paying attention to them, I let him look at one. I held the chicken in my hand and gave it attention. I have him attention too at the same time. As soon as he started to put his face near the chicken I scolded him and stopped paying attention to him. I repeated this several times and eventually he didn't care when I was holding a chicken, he didn't even look at it. Now I let him look at the chicken, whether its on the ground or I'm holding it. He knows the chickens are mine, not his. The goal you want to teach the dog(s) is that the chickens are a member of the family and they belong to you. I taught him that chickens are different than ducks and are not meant to be chased, retrieved, or bothered. They're members of the family. Hopefully your dogs will realize that and try and protect them like my lab does! He senses when there's trouble outside(raccoons, hawks ect.) and whines to go outside and chase the danger off.
Luckily labs are very trainable and tend to remember what you teach them. Hopefully this helps start the relationship with the birds and the dogs, good luck!

I have 7 dogs that will kill small animals including chickens, electric fence wire keeps them away from the chickens. they dont pay any attention to them anymore in their run but if one gets out they will kill it

lisa

I just wanted to say that I love your Fort Knox coop! What an efficient and cute idea! Also, great information for Ducks are Cool. I have dogs that have eaten chickens as well, and I have been working with them for a year now by desensitizing them to my chickens. I thought they were doing great, but last week my english setter killed and ate one of my chickens. Back to square 1 with her. She is sneaky! I can't blame her, she is a bird dog.
Build a Fort Knox coop so they can't break into it. Your dogs sound like they are very prey driven. You might be able to train them not to attack your birds, but it will take a lot of time and patience. I built my coop and run to withstand anything but a bear-and I live in the middle of our small town. I have a Great Pyrenees that was given to us because she killed chickens. It has taken 2 1/2 years, but she is now a chicken guard, no longer a killer.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24453&p=1

There is a 2' wire apron on the ground all the way around the coop and run. I studied the predator section for several months before building my coop. We all need to realize that sometimes, our very own beloved dogs are our chickens worst enemy. I hope you can train your dogs to accept your chickens, at least enough to not attack them. On the brooder situation, you might have to "fence" it off in some fashion to keep your dogs away from it.

A lot depends on the dogs and their desire to please you versus their desire to "hunt" the easy prey you have placed under their noses. You may not ever be able to make the dogs accept the chickens, so you might just have to keep them separate forever. I wish you the best, be sure to come back and update your progress.

I think it is important to remember that all dogs are domesticated animals with a huge desire to please and that even bird dog breeds are bred to retrieve birds NOT to kill birds. I would start by working with your dog on overall impulse control. Use it all the time. Do not let her eat anything without practicing "leave it" make her stop at least two times during every meal. "stop" or "wait" and "leave it." Make her drop every toy she wants. Make her wait in every door way. etc. You need to be able to snap her out of that "have to have it" state. Figure out the things that she wants the most and make her wait for them. YOU are in control of all of those things. Consistently. Every time.

Training the dogs around the birds is a long process and once you have impulse control down you will need to work on it EVERY daily. Don't skip. Put her on the leash and start towards the bird area. As soon as her body starts to tense, even a little. Stop, scold, remove her and start again. Only calm behavior is ok. Excitement, even happy excitement is a no. Over and over and over. It takes a commitment on your part but is completely do-able.

Last edited:
My wife came home Friday from TSC with 4 ducklings. I don't know what she was thinking. My dog (a Sheba Inu) and my fixed barn cat both went ballistic trying to get into the box with the fluffy little ducklings. The Sheba finally wedged himself between the wall and the side of the refrigerator in an attempt to inch himself to the top of the refrigerator. The cat went the more direct route and jumped on top of the ice box. After about 5 minutes of this my wife realized that the duckys were not going to last until Saturday when our middle daughter was coming to pick them up. Back In the car they went and a quick road trip was laid on to my daughter's house. As I type this Sunday night my dog is still sitting on the dining room floor eying the refrigerator were the ducklings spent their final 30 seconds before they were whisked away to a saver climate.

A Sheba Inu is a dog that was used for centuries to destroy vermin and this is all they think of. Not only is it hard on a dog of this type to force it to ignore its basic ethos. It is hard or the dogs' owner.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! I really like this forum with all the people that take the time to type a quality response! :)
Heck to the no my dogs don't respect me! And I did have to drag me off! But, now I need help...
My coop is already built so its to late to make it ndestructable by my dogs it has hardware cloth on it. I've decided that I've waited wait to long and I'm finally going to do training classes. I'm going to train one dog at classes and the other myself with the knowledge I retain from the classes. Obviously obedience is a major part in keeping my dogs and chickens safe so this is the way it has to be! :) I'm going to continue allowing the dogs to come in for a few minutes a day to see the chicks and get used to being around them. Already Moose was way calmer and after a minute he seemed to not even notice or care about tem. Kya on the other hand was still a little crazy and wanted to get at them but its only day two! Thanks again for all yalls help! I will update progress! :)

This is my coop a little before it was finished! :)

Back
Top Bottom