Normal duck poop?

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
My 7 month old Pekin did this poop tonight...there was also this other poop in the run, but I’m not 100% sure if it was hers or not. Just want to make sure if it’s normal, or if I should be worried about her having a broken egg, or any of the bazillion other things that can go wrong with them🙈 she’s been laying since Jan 1st, and eating drinking normal. No other signs of anything. First picture I know is her poop. Second is the unknown.

Attachments

• C9DE139C-FD0B-4A89-91B5-F731BC575DA5.jpeg
    C9DE139C-FD0B-4A89-91B5-F731BC575DA5.jpeg
    813.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 85DFEE3C-27A7-473C-B1F9-3B6221DB1D21.jpeg
    85DFEE3C-27A7-473C-B1F9-3B6221DB1D21.jpeg
    732.9 KB · Views: 8
That does look like broken egg poop to me but the only time I've seen it in my ducks, it was leaving long strings of it behind her as she walked. She was able to pass the broken egg the next day and a week later started laying again.
I hope someone with more experience can help more.

I agree it looks like egg. The first picture looks like soft egg shell. I don't know a lot more. I would watch your duck and make sure it is still eating and drinking fine. As long as it still eating and drinking normally and able to poop, those are good signs. @Isaac 0 is a lot more knowledgeable with these things and can give you more info.

Thanks, so far she seems to be eating & drinking fine. I brought her in, and tried to feel for broken egg in her, but didn’t feel anything. I did, um, analyze the poop the best I could & found what’s attached in this pic in it. It was hardish, I use a putty knife to help scoop poop, and I could barely cut it with that. That’s from that first poop pic, which I saw her do. When she was in the house, she pooped normally 3x.

Attachments

• 7EEE81A4-D862-40AD-B362-99004A7B18D2.jpeg
    7EEE81A4-D862-40AD-B362-99004A7B18D2.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 8
I believe what you're seeing is the remnants of a soft-shelled egg that collapsed inside her oviduct, some of which hardened and dried. If she were mine, I would consider giving her an oral dose of either calcium citrate, or calcium gluconate 23% - it is not uncommon for new layers to lay softshells, but hopefully that will give her a boost, and resolve the soft-shell situation.

Oftentimes, there are concerns when an egg breaks in the oviduct due to the chance of bacterial migration further up to the ovaries, which can subsequently result in conditions such as egg yolk peritonitis, or salpingitis. Depending on the case, antibiotics are recommended to kill any bacterial pathogens that may have made it up to the ovaries, but that is up to you to decide wheter you want to or not.

I believe what you're seeing is the remnants of a soft-shelled egg that collapsed inside her oviduct, some of which hardened and dried. If she were mine, I would consider giving her an oral dose of either calcium citrate, or calcium gluconate 23% - it is not uncommon for new layers to lay softshells, but hopefully that will give her a boost, and resolve the soft-shell situation.

Oftentimes, there are concerns when an egg breaks in the oviduct due to the chance of bacterial migration further up to the ovaries, which can subsequently result in conditions such as egg yolk peritonitis, or salpingitis. Depending on the case, antibiotics are recommended to kill any bacterial pathogens that may have made it up to the ovaries, but that is up to you to decide wheter you want to or not.
Which antibiotics would you recommend? How would I know if that was the right call to make? She's always in the crushed oyster shell, but being her wet mouth ducky self, with our lovely freezing weather for like 2-3 days, she froze it up solid, and even though I kept trying to break it up, most likely didn't get as much as she normally does.

Which antibiotics would you recommend? How would I know if that was the right call to make? She's always in the crushed oyster shell, but being her wet mouth ducky self, with our lovely freezing weather for like 2-3 days, she froze it up solid, and even though I kept trying to break it up, most likely didn't get as much as she normally does.

If she is acting O.K. it's likely she has already expelled most of the material, so you may just leave her be and see how she does.

Back
Top Bottom