Normal Flock Size?

Thank you for the help! However, I am wondering if there are any issues with doubling the size of my flock. Should you only add a few each year or can I add many in just one?

That absolutely does not matter. When a broody hatches, she can hatch out 10 or more at one time. If you get chicks, you will want to watch for bad pecking, because if it gets bloody, you will have a problem.

If you are adding anything besides day olds, you need to quarantine for at least 30 days. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people lose entire flocks because the new birds they added "seemed fine" or "looked and acted healthy."

Thank you for the help! However, I am wondering if there are any issues with doubling the size of my flock. Should you only add a few each year or can I add many in just one?

Just a ps- I'll be adding at least 74 this year {ordered 50 and I have 24 in the brooder right now} and that's not counting any that hatch out or breeds I'm keeping an eye out for that I'll get if they hit my TSC..... or guineas. I'm adding more keets this year, whether hatching them out or buying more.

I currently have 12 laying hens and 6 three week old chicks. In three weeks I want to get six more chicks to raise. I have a run that is 200 square feet and a big coup. Is it okay to double the size of my flock like that? I know 24 is the most I should have with the size of my run, but should I double the size of my flock in about seven weeks?

Depends on what "big coop" (not coup) actually means in feet by feet.
Lots of space is best, especially when adding new birds.

Welcome to BYC @Daniel Bartel !!!

Back
Top Bottom