Normal Hen Temperature

For me, I don't separate out birds unless they are getting severely picked on or are so sick they just have to be placed somewhere else.

I'd re-check that crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied. If it's not, then begin treating as sour crop according to the article linked below. See that she's drinking, eating and has grit.

Did your vet run a fecal float to see if she has worms?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

No they did not, the vet I went to was a last resort vet, I literally was just hoping they could prescribe me the nystatin stuff. They just took her temp, have her 3 shots, and me antibiotics and sent me on my way. This hen is 1 of 3 that I recently introduced to my flock 3 weeks ago. I did quarantine them for 2 weeks. They are all super healthy and very outgoing. I am constantly analyzing poops and have not seen any presence of worms in her poop. So I'm decently confident she doesn't have worms. I'm about to go check her crop, they are just waking up on the roost. I'll keep you posted!

Since you now have established yourself with this vet, you may gather a poop sample next time you are concerned about worms. Then take it to this vet's office and request a fecal float test. It will tell you if the chicken has worms and what kind they are. The test will also show if coccidia is an issue. This test takes less than an hour and is inexpensive.

Yes that will be my next task if any of the ladies start to look down, or if the poops look suspicious. I've had fecal floats done with one of my hens a few times a year or 2 ago. She ended up have coccidiosis. They didn't detect it in the 1st 2 samples but did in the last one, but unfortunately it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom