North Dakotans UNITE!

I wanted to say hi to anyone else out there in ND. Sort of looks like this might not be a busy thread, but I would love to hear more about your chicken raising here in the north.

Just picked up our ladies a little over a week ago. I expect they are 2-3 weeks old. Ive got 3 little white cochins, 1 buckeye and 1 welsummer. I am planning to get a few more chicks next spring and expand our little flock.

wanted to stop over and say hello.

Hi there!! We are in ND just a little North of Stanley! (have been a member here for over a year I believe :D) We have LOTS of Birds, get more than a dozen eggs a day and have probably 100 or so running around since my kids show and breed Blue Laced Red wyandottes, Silver laced wyandottes, Mille Fleur D'uccle, cochin bantams, Silkies, and Silver Phoenixes, but we have red stars, barred rocks, dominiques, new hamps, sex links, aracaunas, and other mixed breeds for meat and egg production. We also raise Nigerian Dwarf goats and show them. We also have a website :D

Welcome. Glad to hear from another North Dakotan, it sounds like we might be neighbors, I'm from north of Stanley as well. I just got a couple silikes this spring and am hooked. My chicken flock keeps getting bigger, I cant go to the feed store during chick days with out getting more chicks. Goats are great fun, I've got 4 mixed breed milking does.

Hi I am new to North Dakota, and although I do not currently own any chickens--- it is a dream of mine! I hope to learn as much as I can in this forum to start raising all kinds of laying chickens.

And my first newbie question is: Do chickens lay eggs in the winter? Also, if the answer is yes, does anyone know of local backyard chicken owners that are selling eggs in the Minot area?

Greetings fellow North Dakotans!
I am new to BYC and raising chickens, got my first 6 red sex link chickens this past April. The chicken addiction set in and in September I ordered 25 chicks in a "rainbow layer assortment" that I split with a co-worker. Of those 12 I kept, three are barred rocks, 1 Cochin, 1 (?) brahma or langshan, 3 other dark birds with black legs, not sure yet if stars or jersey giants, 1 leghorn, 1 with pheasant like feathers and 2 buff colored birds with beak deformities that don't know what they are! Was hoping to see an Easter egger in the mix... And I probably misidentified the breeds, guess time will tell. They are 13 weeks now. I just love watching them and learning. Getting 4 to 6 eggs daily now, the others should be starting by February. I live in Mercer county and we have 5 acres to raise them on

Hi All! We're in Grand Forks. We'd like to find a 'free-range' supplier - egg layers primarily and some for butchering. We're on a 7 acre hobby farm and just getting our place ready for some animals! So excited to raise my kids this way!! Thanks for any pointers!

Hi I am new to North Dakota, and although I do not currently own any chickens--- it is a dream of mine! I hope to learn as much as I can in this forum to start raising all kinds of laying chickens.

And my first newbie question is: Do chickens lay eggs in the winter? Also, if the answer is yes, does anyone know of local backyard chicken owners that are selling eggs in the Minot area?
Nice to see more activity on this north dakota form. Chickens need about 14 hours of light so adding light to your coop helps along with a good egg layer ration. Still, on the cold snaps my hen almost quit. Some people leave like a forty watt light on 24/7 to keep their hens laying all year round. Lot of good info in these fourms, just type a key word into search.
Dakota fur and feather club sponsors alternative livestock auctions ,spring through fall. Contact Ben or Janet Gerving at 701 843 7128
Bisman Online "other livestock" is one to check out.
A rosecomb variety such as a wyndott or dominique or many other rose comb chickens would be good to consider. In the straight comb varieties such as the rhode island red or the leghorn, the hen dont suffer much but if you are to keep straight comb roos, it is hard to keep them from getting frost bitten combs.

Last edited:
Hi Western Edge,

Unfortunately I am in an apartment right now that has an absolutely no pet policy... so I am mostly looking for someone who would sell me eggs until I can get to a place where I can buy and care for my own egg-layers :)

I will try the contacts you gave me to find some people who own chickens and if they would let me buy eggs from them.

Are you within any close distance to Minot and willing to sell some eggs? You can contact me at [email protected] if you are and don't want to post your location online.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Western Edge,

Unfortunately I am in an apartment right now that has an absolutely no pet policy... so I am mostly looking for someone who would sell me eggs until I can get to a place where I can buy and care for my own egg-layers :)

I will try the contacts you gave me to find some people who own chickens and if they would let me buy eggs from them.

Are you within any close distance to Minot and willing to sell some eggs? You can contact me at [email protected] if you are and don't want to post your location online.

Thanks again for your help!
I am near Bismarck, but ran across some chicken friends on another site and can ask if any of them are near Minot.

Back
Top Bottom