North to Alaska!

Pics
I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread!! I'm new to chickens as of August. Right now I have 10 chickens (4 Buff Orps, 4 Easter Eggers, 2 RIRs and 2 ducks, a Pekin and a Chocolate Runner) I'm still waiting for my first eggs! Hopefully another month or so. I house my ducks and chickens together as they were raised together and so far have not had any issues. I had to get creative with the duck water and finally ended up just putting a small bowl in a bigger bowl (small bowl holds the water and bigger bowl catches the spills) coop is well ventilated so I haven't had issues with humidity.

I haven't had an issue with moose yet but I did catch a black bear trying to get into the run this summer. Dumb chickens were all on the otherside of the fence wanting to say hi!

My coop is actually my grandpas old coop that's built onto the back of his garage (we are neighbors) when he built it he installed a blower (like the one in a bathroom ceiling) into the wall that I can turn on to blow warm air into the coop from the garage. So far it's working great. Keeps it about 20-30F in the coop. I have a heat bulb that I turn on during the day if it's below 0. Even though it's toasty in the coop they still spend most of the day outside (as long as I keep the run shoveled that is)

The day they moved into the coop

My solution to the ducks drinking (and spilling) ALL the water. One up high for the chickens and one down low for the ducks

First time in the snow

New feeder and grit and oyster shell feeders

The (somewhat) no spill duck bowl

Ok my peeps,, i will have 20 Ameracauna/EE chicks available as of the first of the yr...might also have some japanses ...let me know if interested..If you want some later in spring i get about 30 eggs aweek off Ameracaunas,,,

Cuckoo D'anvers, 100% English Chocolate Bantam Orpingtons and Silkie Sizzle mixes end of January in Anchorage. Started up the bator this morning will run it until planting outside starts.

Back
Top Bottom