North to Alaska!

Ok great thanks for the information! What breeds would you suggest I’m set on heritage breeds and right now I’m thinking of getting speckled Sussex, Dorking, Faverolles and maybe crèvecoeur. I’ve heard that sometimes you have to brush ice off of the crèves beards I’m prepared to do this as often as necessary, are any of these a really bad idea? Any other thoughts welcome. Thanks
If you get breeds with feathered feet you probably need a fully roofed run. The feathered feet are super bad about making mud balls and ice balls around the toes.

I have over the years switched to only breeds with tiny combs. Small single comb points often get frostbite on the points that stick up.

I actually had less trouble with the huge single combs that fold over onto the head.

After all of these years I have ended up with Dominiques, Ameraucana, Spitz (Appenzeller Spitzhauben), and rose comb Leghorns.

Ok here’s an update I’ve placed an order with Murray McMurray Hatchery for 8 chicks 6 speckled Sussex 1 Dorking and 1 Golden Campine. They will arrive 1 to 2 days after April 20. I can hardly wait :)

Hi AKpeeps, we are planning our move from California to AK but there is no way I'm not bringing my girls with me, any suggestions are greatly appreciated in regards of what's my best options here?
Thank you in advance for everything 💐

Hi AKpeeps, we are planning our move from California to AK but there is no way I'm not bringing my girls with me, any suggestions are greatly appreciated in regards of what's my best options here?
Thank you in advance for everything 💐
Well, what area are you moving to? None is impressively different from Sitka. :confused:

How many hens?

Do you already have a house?

And what time of year are you coming up?

Back
Top Bottom