North to Alaska!

Pics
Bawk,Bawk, Alaskan Peepers
.......Long cold spring want keep me down,,,,,,I have found 6 inches insulated walls are great,,,I have learned that 32 to 42 degrees and plenty of ventilation is your best method for cold climate flock raising,with plenty of wood shaving and straw for flooring. I have learned that 28 Cornish X will eat 4 to 6 lb of feed and drink 2 to 3 gallons of water in 24 hrs. Was dang surprised to be able to buy hatching eggs off eBay....hatch them with a better than 50% hatch rate.Plus be a DIYer...There is just too much expence in running a flock in Ak, be resourceful....Check craiglist,Alaskalist and Ebay...and the BYC site for more great info.
God bless the human that came up with nipples for watering.
Speaking of waters,,I have several 5 and 2 gal bucket available on craiglist...Anybody on here want any,,Let me know.
I will be culling out Americaunas, Black French copper maran,Jap Blacktail Bantams + some Golden seabrights later this summer..Let me know if anyone is interested...Plus I looking for Lt Brahma Roo for some spacial night with 6 hens..Just for some fertile eggs ,,Then you can have him back LOL
I use to raise birds in Arkansas as a 4-Her...Nothing like AK bird raising.
I got lots of experience in raising birds,,Let me know if I can help in anyway....Peace

Bawk,Bawk, Alaskan Peepers
.......Long cold spring want keep me down,,,,,,I have found 6 inches insulated walls are great,,,I have learned that 32 to 42 degrees and plenty of ventilation is your best method for cold climate flock raising,with plenty of wood shaving and straw for flooring. I have learned that 28 Cornish X will eat 4 to 6 lb of feed and drink 2 to 3 gallons of water in 24 hrs. Was dang surprised to be able to buy hatching eggs off eBay....hatch them with a better than 50% hatch rate.Plus be a DIYer...There is just too much expence in running a flock in Ak, be resourceful....Check craiglist,Alaskalist and Ebay...and the BYC site for more  great info.
God bless the human that came up with nipples for watering.
Speaking of waters,,I have several 5 and 2 gal bucket available on craiglist...Anybody on here want any,,Let me know.
I will be culling out Americaunas, Black French copper maran,Jap Blacktail Bantams + some Golden seabrights later this summer..Let me know if anyone is interested...Plus I looking for Lt Brahma Roo for some spacial night with 6 hens..Just for some fertile eggs ,,Then you can have him back LOL
I use to raise birds in Arkansas as a 4-Her...Nothing like AK bird raising.
I got lots of experience in raising birds,,Let me know if I can help in anyway....Peace

I'm pretty sure breakup will never come, but preparing for spring anyway. I've been planning to use sand on the coop floor, but of course I keep second guessing myself. I want them as warm as possible but I would much rather use sand than shavings. Thoughts?

Do you have problems with the nipples freezing? I plan to put a block heater on the galvanized water jug. Are block heaters effective for plastic buckets?

The person at the feed store told me heaters shouldn't be used in plastic water pans (possibility of melting) but the heated water pan I got is plastic, so I don't know. I was going to get one if the hot plate things for my galvanized one but it was $80 and I needed to get a larger water pan as well so it was cheaper to just get the plastic plug in water pan that was bigger to start with.

My coops on the back side of garage it 8 x 12 ..I use 2 250 watt bulbs so mine did not freeze since mid February.. I just build the coop since Mid January then I picked up 10 hen from a lady off craigslist ...So I have not had the experiance on 40 below...Ask me next December I will know more....My waters are set up in 3 & 4 inch pvc black drain pipe.. Built like a gaint U Both side go up about 2 feet...It holds almost 5 gal.....I just put a heat lamp on it and it stayed great.... I have also made some out of just 3 inch and in a shape or a L...with about 4 to 6 nipples. Plus I have some 2 and 5 gal buckets on with 3&4 nipple set up..on craigslist...I don't know if i can say that here,,,Is that okay to say.? .I think they work great ....I will try to post a pic of the one I have in my layer and cornish_x side..... Peace

In Wasilla and Palmer. FaceBook Farm and Food Group has a swapmeet on Saturdays at the Animal Food Warehouse. Heaters in plastic work fine as long as there is water in it. I will have booted bantams there latr in the summer. Heated coops catch fire. Choose a tolerant breed and a low ceiling. My coop is 4x4a and 2.5 feet tall. It is raised so they have a dry place to be outside all year. I have housed 6 LF orpingtons. And this winter 9 bantams. It is minimaly insulated but filled 8inches deep with pine shavings.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure breakup will never come, but preparing for spring anyway. I've been planning to use sand on the coop floor, but of course I keep second guessing myself. I want them as warm as possible but I would much rather use sand than shavings. Thoughts?

Do you have problems with the nipples freezing? I plan to put a block heater on the galvanized water jug. Are block heaters effective for plastic buckets?

Back
Top Bottom