North to Alaska!

Pics
You are welcome!

I don't get anywhere near as cold as you do, but I have humidity and high humidity increases your frostbite risk.

My first year with chickens I had bad frostbite. Some had it really bad on enough toes that I just killed them.

Since then I keep changing my coop design and getting better. I can also get bad wind. I am on the grid, but I get lots of power outages, especially to my coop.

This year, in a totally fit of stupidity, I bought five leghorns! If their combs don't freeze off I will know that I have finally reached coop perfection! :)

Glad I found the Alaskan page! We are new to chickens, 4 Buff Orphingtons, hopefully all hens, although think one might be a rooster. Will definitely have questions when it is time to winterize.

Ok, quick question that probably belongs in another area. But, help me please. =)

I have a rooster. It is about 2 ½-3 months old. It looks like it's trying to mate with my girls that just came home (they went to stay with friends because of the fire)

Isn't that a little young to be doing that? Is he just being mean?

Thanks.

I have only been through one "chicken winter" so I'm not real knowledgeable but have friends who are. They tell me that unless you want/need baby chicks it is best to not have a rooster. Tough on the hens. Logically, though, seems like it would give them something to "think", "worry" about during the long, cold winter! Mine were just so bored, even though I had cabbage in a suet holder, hanging from the ceiling and another holder on the wall with whatever in it - for diversion/entertainment just about every day - they still picked each other terribly.

I'm thinking about asking my friends who have the propane mosquito catcher/killer to save their bags of mosquitos for me so I can freeze them and give to chix in the winter for extra protein. Any opinions about that?

No idea.(about the mosquitoes)

I used to have issues with them picking each other, my solutions were three things

1. Try to go out twice a day with work for it food (scratch thrown into the bedding or something like that, I also get for free bags of stale popcorn from the movie theater)

2. Try to force them outside at least a little bit every day, I would try to tempt them out onto the snow with table scraps etc.

3. I gave them lots more snow free play space. They get my greenhouse to play in all winter long.

Last edited:
This is some great advice!
I see you are in Alaska but what is your temp range where you are - "coaxing" them outside? I do the same but they are totally NOT interested if is below 20 degrees.
I love the greenhouse idea. Do you have a huge permanent greenhouse or a Menards/Sam's club 10x10 plastic over poles mini-greenhouse? That is what I have. Wonder if it would work. It would make a "snow-free" area. I could maybe put a small wood or charcoal stove in it (with chicken fencing around it for chicken safety, of course). I bet they would love it. Maybe wouldn't work at -30+, but would be a nice break for them when there is a temperature break.
I've been in AK 3 years now. When it was -25 last winter I felt like it was spring! We had many weeks of -30 to-55/60.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom