North to Alaska!

Pics
As to a vehicle, I would pick a Subaru. A Subaru can drive through and out of almost anything. I have scraped almost every spare part off of a Subaru and it still drove perfectly. Because Subarus are so popular up here, it is easy to find a really good mechanic when you need one. I like the older ones better (less computer stuff to mess up), but even the new computer ones are better than anything else I have ever driven. You can get a towing package on a Subaru and a small trailer if you think you will need to do lots of hauling.

A truck really has to be super weighed down in the back to get good stability in the winter. (sand bags, what ever) And I still think that the Subaru just drives better and is much less likely to get stuck.

Subaru's ROCK in Alaska! My husband had one when we lived up here before and he had over 200K miles on it when our daughter totaled it. He was planning on getting at least 300K out of it. Subaru's can drive through the deepest snow and never slow down. They are light enough that they can go places other heavier 4WDs can't. He took his up and over the top of Hatcher's Pass after the road was closed (someone had forgot to close the gate or someone had opened it one). The Subaru would ride on top of the pack snow and just keep going. A couple of trucks tried to follow and couldn't get halfway up the first incline.

You can't go wrong with a Subaru!

BTW....The Mat-Su Valley rocks!

Last edited:
What do you'll think about actually buying grit for your chickens?

I haven't ever done it, my chickens have a large dirt run, and their shed is floored with sand.

But, I was reading on one of these BYC threads, that once everything freezes solid the chickens can't peck any bits of grit off the ground. Over the months of winter, they can't digest food as efficiently, and eat more food. If you give them grit, they can grind and digest their feed better, and so eat less.

It makes sense.....and one small bag is only $4, so maybe I will try it.

Dunno...I kind of thought they got some grit function from the oyster shell...and I do make sure they have that year round.

thoughts???

I have always thought grit was essential and by giving them oyster shell grit you are also giving them calcium which in turn will give them an thicker, more sturdy shell. That's all you need as far as I am concerned.

What do you'll think about actually buying grit for your chickens?

I haven't ever done it, my chickens have a large dirt run, and their shed is floored with sand.

But, I was reading on one of these BYC threads, that once everything freezes solid the chickens can't peck any bits of grit off the ground.  Over the months of winter, they can't digest food as efficiently, and eat more food.  If you give them grit, they can grind and digest their feed better, and so eat less.

It makes sense.....and one small bag is only $4, so maybe I will try it. 

Dunno...I kind of thought they got some grit function from the oyster shell...and I do make sure they have that year round.

thoughts???

Playground sand. Its what I give them it doubles as a dust bath.

Hi!
I,m in central ak too! Its sooo nice to see that I am not the only one attempting to over-winter them for the first time!
I have 2 buckeyes, 3 australorps, 4 chanteclers, 3 black giants, 2 light brahmas, 2 buff brahmas and a RIR rooster.
Is their any Buckeye or Chantecler breeders in the state? I really love these birds and want to get roosters next year. Hatching eggs would also do. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom