North to Alaska!

Pics
If your temps go to -40, I would insulate, but I would still put in lots of vent space.

Also, I would keep the water in a separate spot than the perches, to help reduce humidity in the perch area.

I have an insulated coop that is connected to an uninsulated highly ventilated shed that holds the food and water, and that is connected to a greenhouse.

Really, the best idea in Alaska is to have the coop connect to, or be in the same building as the greenhouse. In the winter time, when you can't grow stuff, the chickens get that extra play space.

I am just starting with 9 baby's but we build a 8x8 by 6 total insulated and 3 vents in the roof for air circulation. Now I don't know if deep litter is the way to go and if I should use sweet pdz on poo boards. As for the cold I hope the coop stays warm enough. Our garage dose mostly we got Draft garage doors but stays about at 30.so I think chicks will bee fine is better insulated then the garage lol.:) but I do have so ooooo many other questions like mareks I don't think they r vaccinated. Also I give Em medicated food but for how long? And so much more I really like to get some season chicken farmers in wasilla to know .O least but not last I can't find a farm veterinarian. Ty

How you decide to raise your chicks, to some extent at least, is greatly a matter of personal preference.

I don't heat my coop, and it has lots of vents, so is very close to outside temperatures, just without snow and wind. (Actually, some snow does at times blow in)

Of course, I live close to Homer, so only very rarely hit -10F. My chickens look very comfortable down to about 10f. Colder than that, and the smaller and more tightly feathered breeds look a bit upset about the cold.

However, as long as my perches are 4 inches wide, even down to -10, I do not have chickens loose any toes, so all good.

There is lots of traffic on the facebook alaska sites. You might want to check there for more onfo.

Also, many different coop points have been covered in this thread, if you go back and read through some of the pages, there is lots to learn.

You can give you birds medicated feed up to the point of laying. You do not want to eat eggs from medicated feed, Depending on the breed and time of year Point of lay could be anywhere from 3 to 7 months.

Alaskan which Facebook page are talking about?

There are lots, Alaska Flock Talk and Swap is maybe most active.

I prefer feeding non-medicated chick feed. I don't want to medicate unless I have to medicate... And I have never had to medicate.

Ty for replying. I think I'll med food till there 6 weeks then I'll start mixing it with normal baby chick food .I am just scared that they get sick or so . I got dogs and cats so I don't know , how much exposure they get from my pets. All of Em are healthy. But 1 never knows:).I might bee to protective . U think it bee ok for them to bee in a heatet coop at 4 weeks old because I think they are gone outgrow my brooder very fast .they seem to double every few days lol.

Back
Top Bottom