Northern CA feed sources?

Vicki B.

Songster
6 Years
Oct 10, 2017
Northern California
Does anyone in Northern CA know of a mill a person can buy feed from directly? I am in the Sacramento area. I found Hunt & Behrens feed mill in Petaluma their feed prices are a little lower than retail stores like TSC or the local feed stores but I am going through so much feed (375lbs plus per month) I am looking to buy bulk and try to save some money.I live near Bar Ale mills in Williams but they won't sell directly to the consumer. I free range my chickens maybe I am just feeding too much by leaving food out at all times. I pick it up at night. I was reading here some suggest only feed what they can eat in 10 minutes 2 times a day. I have pullets, cockerels and laying hens.Ages ranging from 2 weeks to three years I have not counted them but estimate 50 birds.I do sell eggs but it is not nearly enough to cover the feed costs but I have chickens because I enjoy them, not as a money making venture!

I've used a couple of different tactics to identify feed mills in my local area. I'm a huge fan of Fertrell products, so contacting dealers near me, they can often tell what mills they supply and many are mills themselves. Second is to find chicken farmers near you and see where they get their feed or if they would be willing to order extra and sell direct to you. Here are some sites to help you.
When talking directly to a feed mill, be specific if you want it bagged in 50# bags. Often the price they quote is for a 1 Ton Tote. Also, I pay $2.50 for each bag as I don't have the means to deal with the tote.

Back
Top Bottom