NORTHERN California!

Pics
Not sure if this is site correct, but I live in the Oroville, Marysville, Brown's Valley area and have blue laced red wyandotte chicks. They are from a hatchery. Was an accidental second order that I forgot I placed. PM me if your interested in buying or look at craigslist. Thanks!

after all the research we have done , I think we have pinpointed where we are going to relocate in Norcal- Modoc County!
We fell in love with everything we have seen and read about the county. We have also worked out a lot of other details about the move including all of the animals , health certs and piggie permit , the budget , buying land semi off grid and living in a travel trailer for a couple years while we start building either a cabin kit , tiny home or maybe have a manufactured home brought in. Modoc County zoning and ordinances seem to be in favor of those who like to live and let live , im guessing because its one of the more isolated counties so there's no one to complain lol unlike Socal .
I was sold at "no traffic lights" and a general store :) anyone here have any insights they can share with me about Modoc.
With all of the animals and the need to homestead (and live in a travel trailer for 2 years) i don't know of a better county as far as rules and regulations go.

speaking of travel trailers , I was so shocked when i looked into how Do-able they really are for temporary living- of course I'm talking 30 something feet with 2 or more width extensions (slides).. these are not your granny's RV lol --granite countertops porcelain tubs and sinks , beautiful wood cabinets , and 2 bedrooms of course 500- 700 sq feet. - buying one outright and living on your private land with no rent or mortgage and very minimal utilities you can live comfortably on a small income- work less live more and stash the rest for building or buying or whatever. i guess there's a lot of people who are switching to this lifestyle to pay off massive debt- google full time rving family or full time Rvers , youtube blogs of families just doing it for the adventure aspect.

We plan to leave early October . we are scouting out cheap land now and Modoc has tons of secluded forest properties- of course its a pain in the bum sorting through all the california pines properties to get to the rural out of city limits properties that we need- most of which are 5-30 miles outside of Alturas.

with the tiny population , i wonder if there is anyone here from Modoc??

I wish I had the picture but it's with my Mom.
I was, maybe, two years old and we woke up to 3 feet of snow overnight. The cars shape wasn't even recognizable, just another mound in the snow. Dad was working at the Tulelake Inspection Station. I'm not sure if it is still open anymore. Not that familiar with the area around Alturas other than high school basketball tournements, there was alot of it on the ground and a couple of years we cancelled the trip due to weather.
You may want to check the snow load on the RV's roof. I would also check out the average temperatures during the winter, critters may need some beefed up shelters if it gets as cold as I remember.

I agree with OR4 hmom regarding the snow. I've only been to Alturas once. It was late June and still pretty nippy and the lake, I think it was Blue Lake was too cold to swim in...but the fishing was great!

It's a pretty remote area. Beautiful country but I recall on the drive there that we went hours without seeing so much as another car or even a house!

One little "town", which consisted of not much more then a cute little grocery/hardware/everything store on the corner, was called "Likley, CA". I have a hat that says "Where in the H*ll is Likely, CA"! It pops up after hours of nothing! Too far from anything for me!

Not sure if this is site correct, but I live in the Oroville, Marysville, Brown's Valley area and have blue laced red wyandotte chicks. They are from a hatchery. Was an accidental second order that I forgot I placed. PM me if your interested in buying or look at craigslist. Thanks!

I'm in Honcut and feeling the pull of the chicken force....must resist....

I agree with OR4 hmom regarding the snow. I've only been to Alturas once. It was late June and still pretty nippy and the lake, I think it was Blue Lake was too cold to swim in...but the fishing was great!
It's a pretty remote area. Beautiful country but I recall on the drive there that we went hours without seeing so much as another car or even a house!
One little "town", which consisted of not much more then a cute little grocery/hardware/everything store on the corner, was called "Likley, CA". I have a hat that says "Where in the H*ll is Likely, CA"! It pops up after hours of nothing! Too far from anything for me!

Or4Hmom- i guess ill be doing more research into this because i thought snow amount was directly linked to elevation with the exception of a freak occurence rogue heat wave or snow storm, but then again maybe the entire county is elevated , although there are 6 distinct regions of modoc , one being more like the high desert? its so hard to get a feel for a place via google lol thats why im so glad to hear feedback from people who have been up there.... as far as the animals and their shelters we have plans in place to keep them insulated and warm in their Houses because no matter where exactly we land in nor cal we expect for there to be some snow ( that great kind that rarely is anything but barely littering the ground and melting off the next day- someone please tell me this is not fairytale snow lol )

Bigdadysmom-
We looked at a few properties in Likely , It was soo cute. I want your Hat !
and Nippy is good . I think im heading back to the cold just from the trauma of living in Florida. I moved from New York and thought it was awesome to wear flip flops year round but not so much after a decade and a half of suffering through 100 degree w/ breath taking high humidity and mosquitos galore (going outside between 7am-9pm your a walking buffet ,West Nile cases in Hernando County- County mosquito control sprays monthly , sometimes on a 4 wheeler through our 5 acres -
roll.png

Tomorow is going to be exciting (sarcasm)- sitting down to map our route calling each states USDA dept to find out about interstate travel requirements for my Percy ( 2 year old pot belly piggie ) . CA requires health Cert and Permit but Georgia requires those plus brucellosis (std ) testing -
ep.gif
how embarassing- my pig is still a virgin unless you count the patio furniture
roll.png
(that was before we decided to fence him in his OWN acre to do his thang what do you want, hes an animal). Either way most states lump pet pigs together with swine for slaughter or breeding making it a ridiculous hassle for just passin' through with my travelin' pig......so We will plan which states we will go through by their requirements. This is one Heck of a project and i know we will make it just fine , but sometimes i want to just smuggle him in lol wouldnt be a first for me anyways but ag checkpoints could mean confiscation and or quarantine .... -so i guess i will save the smuggling skills for feeding lettuce to manatees at the river or snacks at the movie theater and of course a pine cone in the redwoods , just one i promise
hide.gif

No, you're not dreaming on the snow. Our towns at about 2000 ft and rarely does the snow stay for more then a day or two. Our house is just down a bit from town and we rarely get a dusting.

Boy, I don't envy you trying to buy in a town sight unseen. I would at least try reading their online papers and see what you can find out about the town....maybe read the comments of the parts of the paper where people can call in. Could give you a feel for the townspeople.

No, you're not dreaming on the snow. Our towns at about 2000 ft and rarely does the snow stay for more then a day or two. Our house is just down a bit from town and we rarely get a dusting.

Boy, I don't envy you trying to buy in a town sight unseen. I would at least try reading their online papers and see what you can find out about the town....maybe read the comments of the parts of the paper where people can call in. Could give you a feel for the townspeople.

good idea-i will look into that , so far the closest city will be Alturas . we are looking just a few miles outside of that city.

I finally sat down and called every individual states veterinarian for Mississippi , Louisiana , Texas , New Mexico and Arizona-and they all agreed i would be okay with a health certificate for each animal and a permit from CA for my pet pig- whose mani / pedi (hoof trim) i just finished very successfully ( while he was "anesthetized" by the belly rub / ear scratch from DH lol )- what a great piggie he is! I am celebrating the fact that its gonna be much easier than i thought to travel with him on the interstate!

Wilbilt, chicks are gone, you escaped!! Will be making baby Welsummer's soon! Ha, ha! No real escape (for me at least)! The twenty-two young'uns (end of February chicks) are encountering their first thunderstorm, looks they headed back to their baby coop pretty well!

Back
Top Bottom