Not going into coop anymore - new nesting boxes

springchicken81

Chirping
May 17, 2021
Framingham, MA
Our small flock is 18 weeks old and has been reliably going into the coop at night since week 6. We have an automatic door, and all six head into the coop at least 30 mins or so before the door closes. Like clockwork...it's wonderful! Our coop has three nesting boxes that we had filled with rocks up until now so the chicks knew not to sleep or poop in those areas. Now that we nearing laying age, we took out the rocks and put down nesting pads made of straw, hoping to make them cozy and inviting. Since the change, the chickens are not going into the coop at night anymore. For the second night in a row, we had to put them in and close the door behind them.

Are they scared of the nesting boxes? Did we do something wrong by keeping the boxes off limits until now? After a few nights will they start going in the coop on their own again? Should we cover the straw pads with pine shavings (like the rest of their coop)? Should we put the rocks back in?

Any advice would be super helpful!

Thanks!

My husband just went to check on them and they're not on their roosts. And then he noticed he was covered in small mites. What should we do?!?!
Ah, that might explain their reluctance to go into the coop. It could just be pure coincidence that the mite problem began at the same time as you changed the nest boxes around. (I would assume new straw nesting pads came mite-free, unless you are re-using some old ones.)

I believe a permethrin spray can kill off the mites. I’m not sure of the specifics of how to use it. But I know there are threads on BYC about it.

My husband just went to check on them and they're not on their roosts. And then he noticed he was covered in small mites. What should we do?!?!
Clean the coop out completely. Spray it down with Permethrin concentrate that has been diluted per the label directions in a 2 gallon garden pressure sprayer paying particular attention to where wood meets wood to form a crevice. Allow to dry then add fresh bedding.
When you collect the birds to put them back in at night, spray each bird under both wings, under the vent, under the hackles at the base of the neck and in the chest feathers, making sure to get to the skin with each location.
Repeat the coop clean out, rebed and spraying the birds again in 7 to 10 days.

We're trying a more natural solution I found online -- spraying the coop down with a mixture of cooking oil, water, and dish soap. And then sprinkling the crap out of it with Diatomaceous Earth. Also spraying the chickens (who thus far seem to have no symptoms of mites -- I think we caught this early) with garlic and powdering them in DE. Has anyone had success with this method?

Last edited:
We're trying a more natural solution I found online -- spraying the coop down with a mixture of cooking oil, water, and dish soap. And then sprinkling the crap out of it with DM. Also spraying the chickens (who thus far seem to have no symptoms of mites -- I think we caught this early) with garlic and powdering them in DM. Has anyone had success with this method?
Do you mean DE...Diatomaceous Earth?
Worthless as a preventative, not to mention and infestation.
First do a thorough inspection, then get the permethrin.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Upon further research, we definitely have Red Roost Mites -- we found red and grey ones this morning. And this also explains why we're not seeing them on the chickens themselves. Looks like our focus needs to be on the coop.

Anyone have specific advice for RRMs?

Upon further research, we definitely have Red Roost Mites -- we found red and grey ones this morning. And this also explains why we're not seeing them on the chickens themselves. Looks like our focus needs to be on the coop.

Anyone have specific advice for RRMs?
Permethrin.
This is a naturally occurring chemical found in chrysanthemums.
If you mess around with "natural" home remedies, your birds can become anemic and die.

Back
Top Bottom