Not hatching!!!

There have been 2 other fertile eggs that I opened and there was one dead embryo that had begun devloping (lost it around day 6). Another I opened around day 9 because the egg was severely cracked and I feared Gretta, by sitting, would open it up and it would get all over theother eggs. So I do know they are fertile.

You've all given me some things to think about. While I don't think any but the first one was an early quitter, as they look like normal day 18 (and so on) candled eggs with the air space and all, I'm just wondering if they are going to be stillborn. Does that happen often?

As for the overly large eggs, I do have one in my fridge. I will open it up when I get off work tonight because now I'm really curious!

I guess I'm too new at this to understand how to hatch eggs if they're not staggered. I've tried to read all the info on this site (there is so much helpful stuff!) but have never found anything that explains how to hatch eggs any differently. Can someone kindly point me in a direction (like a website or article, maybe) that will tell me how to save and store eggs for putting under a broody?

I'm trying so hard at this. I feel like I'm failing. :(

Removing the cracked egg was a good move. You don't want albumen to coat the pores of the other eggs.

By stillborn, I assume you're talking about late embryo death. Yes, that happens a lot depending on incubation conditions but most problems relating to that aren't seen with experienced broody hens.

Some problems that can occur even with a broody are:
Heredity - lethal genes, chromosome abnormality
Breeder disease
Embryonic malposition
Contamination - especially fungal
Embryological development accident - i.e. things like failure to absorb yolk sac and abdominal loop or switch to lung breathing
Breeder nutritional deficiencies - vitamin D, A, E, K, B12, folic acid, pantothenic acid, biotin, riboflavin, thiamine, lineolic acid, selenium, phosphorus, calcium, manganese

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

The reason that you should wait and set your eggs all on one day is so that they all hatch within 24-48 hours of each other. That way, when the hen gets off the nest to take care of the chicks and show them where the food and water is, you don't have a bunch of partially developed eggs, that still need incubating.
To store eggs for hatching, you put them in a carton, fat end up. Keeping them cool (50-60 degrees) will help extend their viability. Eggs should be set within 2 weeks of collecting.

I guess I'm too new at this to understand how to hatch eggs if they're not staggered. I've tried to read all the info on this site (there is so much helpful stuff!) but have never found anything that explains how to hatch eggs any differently. Can someone kindly point me in a direction (like a website or article, maybe) that will tell me how to save and store eggs for putting under a broody?

I'm trying so hard at this. I feel like I'm failing. :(

It's simple. Store the eggs in a cool humid place around 50-65F until you have accumulated all the eggs you want to hatch and set them under the hen all at once. That way, they'll all start to develop the same day.
They don't HAVE to be stored in a cool place but it has to be below 75F. In nature, a hen will lay an egg every day or two but not sit till she collects what she deems is a good clutch. They'll then develop when she decides to sit without getting off - save for her daily foray to eat, drink, defecate and stretch.

By setting eggs staggered on 1/17, 1/19 and 1/20 - they would potentially hatch 2/7, 2/9 and 2/10. The hen would likely leave the nest when the first hatches and nothing the next day, leaving the last 2 embryo to chill and die.
A hen's first responsibility is to care for the live chick, not an unknown.

Last edited:
You know, you all are so helpful. Thank you so much. I had done hours and hours of research on this. And I guess we live and learn. But it is still so disheartening. Thank you all for the advice. I know what to do next time. I just hope I didn't unnecessarily kill a bunch of emrbyos. That would make me sad.

If she comes off the nest to take the chick/s afield when there are still viable eggs in the nest, immediately get them into an incubator or other warm spot near 100F with good humidity.
Cause once she leaves with a chick or chicks, she won't go back to the nest except to brood the live chicks, not to incubate the late ones.

Last edited:
Why not let the hen that hatches them, mother them?

The hen will miss them. If you bring them in, you'll have to provide heat. If you leave them out, she'll take care of it and be much more content.

I could always do that. I was worried how she'd take care of the 8. While that obviously won't be a problem now, I would think that's a lot. My coop is above ground about 3 feet, and they are not separated from my other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom