Not impacted, but?

Smorz

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
I picked up one of my chickens yesterday and a bunch of liquid came flowing out of her mouth like a fountain. I pressed in her chest area about three times and still a bunch of liquid came out.

It is not smelly. I checked again this morning, she is staying in the coop. More liquid came out, but closer to a strong dribble. It was obvious she didn't want me poking around on her. It doesn't feel like there's anything in her crop at all. Does this still sound like an impacted crop? Any other suggestions?

I picked up one of my chickens yesterday and a bunch of liquid came flowing out of her mouth like a fountain. I pressed in her chest area about three times and still a bunch of liquid came out.

It is not smelly. I checked again this morning, she is staying in the coop. More liquid came out, but closer to a strong dribble. It was obvious she didn't want me poking around on her. It doesn't feel like there's anything in her crop at all. Does this still sound like an impacted crop? Any other suggestions?
So, the crop did not empty overnight - you checked her this morning before she had anything to eat/drink and she still has liquid in her crop?
Is she pooping?

She may have a slow or impacted crop. Massage her crop in a downward motion. Spitting up water she could aspirate if not careful.
Provide some poultry grit, make water available and offer only wet poultry feed.

Most crop issues are symptoms of an underlying issue like worms, internal laying/reproductive disorder or cocci. If you can have a fecal sample tested for worms, cocci and bacteria that would be good.

If she continues to decline, then you may want to separate her so you can monitor her more closely.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Thank you! I wasn't sure how to proceed. Can regular vets test for worms? Or cocci?

Back
Top Bottom