Not laying after molt.

annmarie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
My BR went through a very hard molt about a month and a half ago. She has now by all appearances fully recovered except that she still has not gone back to laying. She did actually lay 2 days in a row about 3 weeks ago, but nothing since. My other 2 birds went though their molt and got right back to laying pretty much immediately. Should I be worried about this one? She seems fine otherwise.

She's probably fine, some take longer to get back in the groove than others. She may still be growing under-feathers that you can't see.

You could try adding a little black oil sunflower seed to some scratch, or even just whole corn, to toss out as a treat, for only 3 hens, maybe scatter about 1-1/2 cups a day for them, as treat. The black oil sunflower seed really seems to help get them back into condition after a molt. I started using it, after another person told me he uses it to get his through molting a lot faster, and have stronger, shinier feathers. Mine were over halfway there, by then, but it's going to be a steady part of the diet from now on, I'll see how molting goes next year.

If she's otherwise acting normal, I wouldn't be too concerned, just give her a little more time.

Something else that really helps get them "back on their feet" after a hard molt is tuna fish. They LOVE it and I give each one a small can mixed with a raw egg yolk. I think the extra protein must "kick start" them.

I wouldn't worry too much. This is not scientific, but I have found that my girls who have the hardest moults take much longer to lay again. As long as she looks good, is eating, drinking and participating, she probably just needs a little more rest.

Back
Top Bottom