Not new (I'm a Duck mama). But, new chicken mama!

RacerWife7

Songster
7 Years
May 20, 2013
Northern, NJ
I haven't been on often. I was 3 years ago when I first got my ducks. I had 5, but lost one over the winter to illness.

Yesterday, hubby and I decided to get some chicks. We were at TSC picking up duck supplies and, of course, it's "Chick Days". Last year, we talked about getting chickens. But, chick days were over and we didn't feel like ordering from a hatchery at that point. So, yesterday we picked up a half dozen of ISA Browns (sexed). We got down the road and one of them was dying already. So, we turned around and went back. They took back the sickly one and gave us another, more hearty looking one. But, we lost another one last night. So, we have 5 who look pretty happy and healthy, running around in their brooder.

Does anyone know how old they might be? They have, maybe 1/2" of wing feathers, at most; almost none, at least. What are they 1-3 days old or so??

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on your new flock.

So sorry about the losses, and hope the rest remain robust and healthy.

My guess 3-5 days old?

welcome-byc.gif

Cute chick you have pictured. The places around me order their chicks from large online hatcheries so the store gets them when they are about 3 days old. Depending how long the chicks were at the store, they could be a week maybe but the stores around here sell out of them almost as soon as they come in.

Hope you are enjoying them, congrats on your new flock!

Thanks! I wasn't sure. So, okay - 3-5 days. I was trying to gauge proper brooder temp. It's currently at 95 degrees. So, that seems okay. They're not huddling under the heat lamp side and not staying on the cooler side for too long; mostly to eat or drink or just run around, playing.

They're funny. I have one that seems to peck at all the others. She's not choosy about which one. She just looks at them, gives them one peck, then runs away. LMAO! Silly girl.

Thanks! I wasn't sure. So, okay - 3-5 days. I was trying to gauge proper brooder temp. It's currently at 95 degrees. So, that seems okay. They're not huddling under the heat lamp side and not staying on the cooler side for too long; mostly to eat or drink or just run around, playing.

They're funny. I have one that seems to peck at all the others. She's not choosy about which one. She just looks at them, gives them one peck, then runs away. LMAO! Silly girl.

I was so "scientific" with the temp thing when my gals where babies - but learned quickly to watch the flock and move the light up by the observations you have already noticed.

Bet the one doing the pecking turns out to be your # 1 in the flock.

But would suggest you give her something else to peck at - mine were fascinated at a thermometer placed in the brooder - pecked it instead of each other.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you've begun posting here again. A CD or something reflective might help with the little pecker.

All the best
CT

@CTKen - a CD? Like as in a compact disc? Do you mean hang one in there for them to peck at??

Thank you to you and @sunflour for the suggestions!!
smile.png
I certainly don't want to allow any cannibalistic behavior to start in there!
sickbyc.gif

We hung a CD in the brooder for our last batch of chicks. They liked it but their favorite plaything of all was a piece of corrugated tubing about 4" in diameter and maybe 7" long. They would play all day with that, running through the "tunnel" and trying to jump on top of it. One of them decided that inside the tubing was her special place to nap, lol.

Have fun with the chicks, they don't stay little very long!

We hung a CD in the brooder for our last batch of chicks. They liked it but their favorite plaything of all was a piece of corrugated tubing about 4" in diameter and maybe 7" long. They would play all day with that, running through the "tunnel" and trying to jump on top of it. One of them decided that inside the tubing was her special place to nap, lol.

Have fun with the chicks, they don't stay little very long!
What composition was the corrugated tubing?? I might do the CD as well as some tubing.

Back
Top Bottom