Not New just returned.

Marielaf

In the Brooder
May 1, 2018
Hello I'm back though this time I'm raising a few quail instead of chickens, can't keep them inside. Lol. So any tips on treats, veggies,fruit. And most importantly WHAT NOT TO FEED THEM. Cooked dry beans or peas.. YES or NO! (Navy beans, black eyed peas?). Canned chick peas rinsed? They are indoor friends. Eggs, cooked,scrambled,hard boiled? Meats I know eat it. Though I don't want them to before thirsty for meat.. lol. Stay with fruits,veggies, and bugs at Time times... T.I.A. Their home is work in progress.

Welcome back. Quail are awesome. We started with them after tasting some pickled eggs at a holiday meal. Their eggs are great for baking (just need to crack a few more). Our grandchildren have enjoyed making crafts and ornaments with the eggs as well as dying them for Easter.
We feed only a quality gamebird pellet feed that is made at a local feed mill. They are so small that every bite should confirm to their nutritional needs (just my personal opinion). We grind the same pellets for chicks and as it's an 18% protein we supplement for the babies with high quality dry cat food ground in with the pellets. I'm afraid I can't help you with any auxiliary feed information. However we've been hatching and raising quail for more than ten years so we've seen a lot and learned from our mistakes.

Welcome back!

Quail are pretty much like chickens. If you wouldn't feed it to chickens, don't feed it to quail. I raised mine for meat outside in an aviary and they need oyster shell available for egg laying. If you give anything other than a formulated feed they need grit, chick grit was perfect. Mine very much enjoyed wild bird seed and lots of bugs, greens, veggies and fruit. I gave them the same things I gave my chickens except different feed. They need protein, bugs and eggs are good. I didn't ever give mine meat, but they weren't here that long.

Chicken feed is NOT high enough in protein. A game bird feed with 22 to 24 percent is needed for their growth rate. Turkey start will work

I hope you enjoy keeping quail. They're fun little birds! Here's a link to the quail forum and I'm sure the folks there will be lots of help!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

Back
Top Bottom