Not RI Reds?

BrewedInNh

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Southern NH
Hi everyone. I hope the summer is off to a great start for you all.

About 7 weeks ago we got these chicks from a local supply store (not a chain). When we bought them we were looking for RI Reds, because we're interested in the egg production for our family, but the sales-person wasn't sure which chicks were which. We took our best guest but that's all it was.

Looking for opinions.

She's either a Light Brown Leghorn pullet or a Welsummer pullet. As she matures, the earlobes will tell the story. If they are white, she's a Light Brown Leghorn and will lay white eggs. If the earlobes turn red, she's a Welsummer and will lay dark brown eggs.

She's either a Light Brown Leghorn pullet or a Welsummer pullet. As she matures, the earlobes will tell the story. If they are white, she's a Light Brown Leghorn and will lay white eggs. If the earlobes turn red, she's a Welsummer and will lay dark brown eggs.
this. Either way, you'll get about the same amount of eggs you'd have had from the Red, actually if she's a Leghorn you'll probably get more, from a bird that eats quite a bit less.

Agreed

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses. before they got their feathers they were chipmunk colored and my wife kept saying she didn't think they were reds. Looks like I'll have to tell her she was right.
roll.png

We usually keep a flock for a few years until production drops noticeably, then we process them and start over. No matter the breed we'll follow our usual practice with these.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses. before they got their feathers they were chipmunk colored and my wife kept saying she didn't think they were reds. Looks like I'll have to tell her she was right.
roll.png

We usually keep a flock for a few years until production drops noticeably, then we process them and start over. No matter the breed we'll follow our usual practice with these.

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom